Educated Mind and Heart

I did not expect this week’s reading to be as informative as previous weeks. I thought it was going to be a simple happy ending summary of what we have learned. They tended out much more profound. I have read them all. Although the readings delayed my blog posting, I do not regret it. I was not that good at liberal arts. The middle school classes were boring, and the standardized tests did not require liberal arts that much. It is not that I still know nothing. I just do not feel like having a solid background of liberal arts knowledge. I do not plan to start blaming how I have been educated, but I am trying to reflect on myself. I did have exposure to learning music, but I was still on the technical level without enough art and humanity involvement. It is a good opportunity to look through this selection of articles on the merits of intelligence in non-science fields and its influence on people’s learning, working, and life. The mentioned topics are not completely new to me. I was already recognizing and exploring many of the perspectives. I have gained some preliminary theories out of my own trial and errors. However, I was still too ignorant to reach a more comprehensive understanding in such a short time than from quality articles. I am pleased to use this understanding as a new starter to deepen my humanity dimensions.

I agree that education is not merely about equipping students with the knowledge and skills for life and work. It is also about identifying the motivations and energy sources that drive what they do. When kids first start school, they usually do not need to worry about motivations and reason about what to do because they have enough external drives and planned work for them. As they grow up, they have to transit to motivating and energizing themselves. This is not easy. Understanding the passion and driving force is partly a psychological task. Self-reflection is even more tricky and iterative with many things taken for granted. The heart is the hidden engine of mind. If students can be educated to recognize their heart, we give them ways to amplify their power.

Students should know human emotions are meaningful signals of exploring the world and themselves; coaching is a good way of raising self-awareness and facilitating self-improvement; liberal arts triggers more creativity; humanity adds value to knowledge and meaning to life. The last sentence looks like individual bullet points or unconnected dots. However, once taught and applied, the dots will connect tightly. While science domains work through calculations and logic, the non-science domains work through the charm of dynamic mechanisms.