I Think, Therefore I Blog…Maybe

I feel as though I should start out this post by saying I am not fully accepting of the blogging community and am more cynical regarding blogs than I would like to admit. I would like to think I am able to openly discuss most any topic presented to me and I thoroughly enjoy having intelligent conversations with anyone who is willing to talk to me, but I have yet to be convinced that this interaction taking place via blogging is worth the effort it would take for me to write as well as anyone else’s effort to read what I had just written.

Maybe I have the wrong perception of blogging because I have defined it to myself as a platform for people to throw their ideas and opinions into a pot that is already filled to the brim and spewing over the sides with unproductive, pointless chatter. I am willing to admit that I may be wrong about the actual purpose of blogs and that maybe there are other aspects to it that are worth mentioning. Tim Hitchcock hits on this point in his article when referring to one’s profession that “It is not about what you had for breakfast. It is about being on top of your field.” That point resonates with me and helps to separate where blogging (and possibly other various social media outlets) may actually be used for good compared to most of what is plastered on my computer and tv screens with click-bait articles, unbelievably stupid top 10 lists, and hateful/intentionally ignorant stories trying to sell some sort of agenda. Another positive aspect regarding blogging that was refreshing to read was brought up by Scott Rosenberg who stated “Reading is as much a part of blogging as writing; listening is as important as speaking.” When I read blogs I get the impression that it is more of a statement that someone is trying to make instead of it being a part of a conversation, but it is good to know that people out there who take blogging very seriously have this conversation mentality behind blogging and helps paint blogging in a better light to myself.

Another aspect about blogging that I had never considered was brought up in the youtube video with Seth Godin where he stated something along the lines of blogging showcasing one’s humility in taking the time to think critically and write a blog post. I know that my opinion on blogging is harsh, but I feel as though if I encountered more blogs that represented the metacognition that should go into writing your opinions then I would have a much more enjoyable time discussing ideas and having intelligent conversations via blogging.

I can tell that even as I am finishing writing this post I am warming up to the idea of blogging as a useful tool for myself to use in my future career, but there are still plenty of reservations that I know I will need to overcome first. Reading articles and watching videos that show the positive sides of blogging is a great start, but I also realize that some of the positive examples brought up in these stories are idealistic and are not fully representative of what blogging actually can become. Obviously as the semester goes on and more discussion regarding blogging takes place I am sure I will hear positive opinions and I will give my own (probably negative) opinions, but I am more than willing, and looking forward to having great discussion on the topic.

7 thoughts on “I Think, Therefore I Blog…Maybe”

1. I liked the quote you chose to highlight from the Scott Rosenberg piece. I teach public speaking here at Tech as a GTA, and we always try to stress the importance of listening to other people’s speeches, not solely focusing on what you are going to say in yours. You can learn so much from hearing and watching other people do what you are trying to do and learn more about. The same can be said with blogging here. Writing a blog post and ignoring the rest of the blog-osphere seems like a waste. By reading and commenting on our classmates’ posts throughout this semester, hopefully we can move more from the “statement” to conversations, playing on your words from above. While I too am skeptical (but warming up to) the idea of blogging, I think it could be a great way to learn more about what our classmates think and hear their perspectives on things. We’re all in graduate school pursuing advanced degrees, and we all have great knowledge and experiences to share, but we have to be willing to dive in head first and create that discussion.

2. I too was skeptical of blogs, I have even done this for a course before and I was still skeptical until I was blown away by the first article that was on our reading list. I then searched ‘the internets’ for blogs about my research field and although it is very new, I found some good information. This was a goldmine to me! Now, I am most likely not going to begin posting my findings from studies, but I will continue to read blog post from industry related to my research and THAT is why I feel connected learning is super cool. I’m starting to like this stuff.

3. Thanks for your thoughts. It does seem like many blogs are platforms for specific opinions to be shared. I did notice that you yourself appeared to move away from the prompted focus area and begin to develop more analytical or critical thoughts on the process of blogging. I thought that the you tube video was interesting as well. Mainly I enjoyed the thoughts on audience receptions to blogging. How we have to take into consideration what readers may actually gain from our posts. As professionals we may not need to use blogs as an opportunity to put our two cents out there, but perhaps use blogging as an opportunity to share experiences in a way that is approachable, and capable of fostering meaningful dialog.

4. I shared similar idea with you about blogging. But when I submitted my first blog last week and started to read blogs by other people in this Contemporary Pedagogy, I found myself enjoying this reading experience. This leads to my reflection on why this change.

I think the main reason is the blogging community. In my previous blogging experience, I was surrounded by totally different people, sharing eye-catching news, posing superficial articles. But in this community, I see serious reflections and candid communications. So I think the main point is to be aware who are we surrounded in this blogging environment. It is like going to a party finding no one you are interested in talking to or find a group of people that are similar to you. So it makes me feels better by thinking blogging is just an environment to bring people you are interested in together. So a lesson I learnt is be selective with the company in blogging.

5. Mindless chatter and click-and-go articles seem to permeate a large majority of internet and television entertainment. I can’t agree more with this, and I believe its for this reason I’ve also been resistant to accept social media as a safe and reliable place to have intelligent dialogue. Even so, some part of me feels that to reach the young students entering into college, some conformity is necessary. These situations always make think of the quote from Star Trek, when the Borg say, “…, you will be assimilated, resistance if futile”. Even so, I believe if we are to conform to these new social methods of teaching, it shouldn’t be done using mindless trail and error in the classroom. Instead, research into the aspects of social media that incite positive feedback with younger populations should be tackled first. After identifying this, the construct of academic social networking can then be formed. The future is inevitably becoming more globalized with social media, and regardless of what form it may take in the far future as this process continues to evolve, some system that encourages younger students to participate in the educational community is necessary and to feel that they are capable of contributing intelligently (despite the negative teachings of most of modern television and social media).

6. I agree there are lots of pointless chatting in social media, but when professional learning is introduced in blogging, it might not be the case. In fact I think blogging in connected learning can shift the students’ attention away from useless entertainment.

7. Communication is very important among students, teachers and other people. Blogging is one of the most popular way to communicate with others. I like your opinions that we need to read and reflect what we will post in the website.