hsp#2: Queerism vs Mass Destruction

I have many issues with this week’s readings. Especially the one on dildos, by Das (2014) is a really problematic one to me, but I will not go into detail here. Overall, I do think that the scholars identifying themselves as Queer, have one thing in common: prioritizing the process of becoming one’s own self — while practicing a critical stance to the roles and rules of the society.

I recently listened a talk by Michael Foucault’s genealogical work on the “Culture of Self”, here:

http://www.openculture.com/2014/08/michel-foucaults-lecture-the-culture-of-the-self.html

Foucault describes the practice of “becoming” a person in detail, highlighting the relationality, and continuous critical (and development-focused) attitude towards the process of “becoming”. What I get from the theorists identifying themselves as queer is similar to these terms.

My discussion question lies to the practicality of this ideal though. Honestly, some of the “critical” papers of the “queer” theorists sound too much of an ill-luck to me, including the Das (2014) article. S/he lost me in many quotes, references, attributions s/he made. For instance, her attitude of representing dildos as a form  of patriarchy is a total re-creating a reality to me, and I am not sure if this is a healthy form of “critical”ness.

Especially, her argumentation on penetration to be a form of patriarchy is just blew my mind. A part of me wants to challenge her by dissecting sexual acts into tiny details, but prefer not to. Just a simple question: I wonder how she would explain the process of patriarchy in the french kiss practice between two lesbian partners. So, what is the patriarchal role of the tongue of partner A’s “penetrating” the mouth of partner B?

To me, these are all talking for the sake of talking, not necessarily a critical attitude.

While writing on this post, youtube brought me a master piece from Faithless, that fits pretty much the picture.

Mass Destruction

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber
Wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction
Whether you’re soar away sun or BBC 1
Misinformation is a weapon of mass destruction
You could a Caucasian or a poor Asian
Racism is a weapon of mass destruction
Whether inflation or globalization
Fear is a weapon of mass destruction