Week 5: Plagiarism (section II)

The interactive video “The Lab” is the most impression part for me in the material of this week. It is provide the different situation in different roles when we faced the plagiarism, as well as shown variety choice and result in each stage. Maybe it is a little bit different than the real situation, but, in this video, it is highlight the process will be experienced when the plagiarism happened. I select the role of Kim Park, a graduate student in research Laboratory, which is same as me. Actually, it is extremely contradictory when I face the questions that Kim to meet RIO face to face and the situation to leave and stay after Kim meet RIO in person. I shrink from the effects after the truth is disclosed. However, the voice in my mind reminder me to be brave even it is mad. In particular, in my words, to accuse cheating and plagiarism of my colleague is a hard decision. But I understand this is the only and right method to protect my research and the achievement of other scholar.

The video “why student plagiarism” analyze the reasons why plagiarism happened, and also demonstrate the data collection in details, such as the ratio, the different level of student and the sections student plagiarism. It is shown that pressure and stress is one of the significant reasons. Due to the goals are too hard to reach and the bad time management, which lead to cheating and plagiarism. I understand the situation the students faced, even in the time closer to the deadline, all students fighting with papers and exam. But it is not the excuse for cheating and plagiarism. Therefore, to avoid this happened, I design a timetable at the beginning of the semester, add schedule in each section and, most important, highlight the deadline. I recognize that I am a deadline person, so in my schedule the deadline always ahead than professors marked on the syllabus. In our department, cheating and plagiarism is not common cause art and design is basic on personal idea, experience, creative, style and technical. Sometimes, it is like a personal symbol and hard to copy.