My Role as a Teacher

For me, teaching is a very powerful job, you are building the next generation, that in itself is a scary situation due to making sure that the students are learning valuable knowledge and skills to make better future.

Teaching for me is like acting as a leader in the classroom, you don’t want your students to be scared of you, or think that you are giving them orders to follow so they can get the grade. It’s more about letting them feel that you are in the class with them to guide them to succeed and that you are there for them when they need help or direction to success. In the end, you want them to feel safe, happy, and successful in the classroom.

As an instructional designer, I deal a lot with the content itself and most of the time I actually don’t teach the content I developed. Most of my work is used in e-learning settings, where the role of the teacher create and maintain a collaborative problem-solving environment, where students are allowed to construct their own knowledge, and the teacher acts as a facilitator and guide. It is more of student-centered approach, and I believe that learning is the method and experiences humans go through to acquire new knowledge or skill, and constructed knowledge is what senses learners make of their environment and their experience. So my role as a teacher is to try my best to craft authentic learning experiences for my students so they can gain the most of their learning experience.

8 Replies to “My Role as a Teacher”

1. I appreciated your post. I like the idea of a teaching serving as a kind of leader for students. When we serve in this capacity, we inspire students to take ownership over their assignments and tasks in the classroom. For me, one of the challenges is exploring opportunities to have a student-centered approach. I think the best way for a teacher to discover such approaches is through conversations with colleagues – it’s completely different to read about a scenario/approach in a text and to hear it from a colleague. In this way, I think each of us has a lot to learn from each other. For instance, I have no idea of e-learning settings, and I think it would be very interesting to hear more about how you leverage that in the classroom. All of us are part of an incredibly useful “hive mind”!

2. Great insight Wejdan. This sentence “It’s more about letting them feel that you are in the class with them to guide them to succeed and that you are there for them when they need help or direction to success. In the end, you want them to feel safe, happy, and successful in the classroom.” stood out to me. It is leading from behind and being a overall holistic and caring educators instead of being the sage on the stage.

3. I also agree that teaching can be scary! We are still students ourselves and yet we’re responsible for shaping the education of those younger than us? Especially, from what I’ve seen, most TAs don’t receive formal training on how to teach. But I like your philosophy of a teacher being a guide to help students in learning, as opposed to being an unapproachable figure.

4. The responsibility of the educator not only teaching students the knowledge they are not familiar with but also guide the student to connect what they learned with the experience. Especially in the design class, it is hard to judge the good or poor works in rules. In the studio class, teachers training independently and construct a comfortable for the student to communicate with others.

5. Yes, this is exactly what I want my classes, online and in-person to look like. Do you have any ideas or suggestions that you have found work or maybe think have potential that we could use to encourage our students to be responsible for their own learning?

6. When I talk to my students, to be honest, I hope I can be a mind-reader as in the movies or TV shows. I like the term you mentioned, student-center learning! ! We need to know who our audiences are and adjust the course material to their level. Lecture is not teachers doing solo on the stage, instead, more like teacher leads students to play a wonderful symphony…..

7. Students often, if not always, perceive the teacher as the actor and in the process, become the audience who very easily are passive to the material they are presented with. As you mention, I think it is important for the teacher to fully engage the students for active learning and probably even more essential for the students to start to treat the classroom as the active learning environment that it ought to be.