Why Blog?

The reading for this week talks a lot about blogging, networked learning, and the advantages of using the internet or the web as a learning platform. They talked about it as a way to give the student more interactive and collaborative learning experiences. However, The only thing missing is the student perspective of this new way of learning. So I decided to share my opinion, as an international student, it’s really hard for me to blog. First, cause I’m used to having the instructions for a project or an assignment (how many pages, references, etc). And if I have to write a paper for a class how many times I will go to the writing center just for grammar, spelling, or just to get my ideas across. Second,  as graduate students, we must support or ideas or arguments with resources, and of course when blogging is more about you own ideas and thinking.

So I’m really intimidated and excited at the same time of how to get as much experience and confidence from this new way of interaction and collaborative learning experience.

10 Replies to “Why Blog?”

1. You are not alone in the way you feel. I am also an international student and english is not my native language, which makes blogging a really hard task. However, I think that these assignments will help us to be more fluent in writing. I encourage you to be creative and share your learning experience on your posts and do not waste time focusing to much in the grammar and structure of your writing.

2. Hi, I am an international student and this is my first time writing blog too. I have the exact same feeling as you. I am excited but at the same time don’t know what to write and how to express my ideas. Hopefully, we will get better at writing blogs at the end of the semester!

3. Hi, thank you for sharing how difficult it is to blog as an international student. As an American, English speaker who only knows a little of another language, it helps me to understand the challenges of international students. I just am curious, though, how you would feel about blogging if you could do it in your native language? Would you then be more open to it? Would you see value in it?

4. Hi Wejdan! I know! When I was told in Spring ’16 that I was required to blog I had some of the same concerns you stated. I have to say that after having blogged now for two classes and a professional organization, there is a liberation that comes along with being able to put your thoughts in a blog…I think of it more as a processing tool. The class site being protected from public comments, it also makes it safer to experience blogging in a contained environment. I am hoping you will like this experience and it will do something for you in return. Your thoughts are important to us!

5. I had similar concerns Wejdan, and I am positive that this class is a safe space for learning.. and that includes blogging. Looking forward to learning from you over the semester.

6. Although I’m not an international student. I’m right there with you. I’ve been apprehensive about blogging because it’s so far out of my comfort zone that I feel it will sound insincere. That being said, I’m also trying to keep an open mind with the process in hopes that blogging may be something I come to enjoy and in turn, helps my writing. Judging by the responses already, it looks like you’re in good company an have a class full of great support.

7. I absolutely have the same concerns! I’m not an international student but I’m also used to being given prompts and strict instructions on how to go about class assignments. I don’t know how to accurately represent myself and be authentic via blogging. Since blogging is public, I’m afraid that any mistake or misrepresentation I make will be permanently etched into the internet. I hope we both become more comfortable blogging throughout the semester!

8. I feel you, buddy!!!! I’ve taken another course required me to blog last semester. Oh well! I survive with my Chinenglish! :p So, I believe you will do well too!!! I’m also an engineer, who is good at numbers instead of words. But learning how to communicate is very important as a researcher to share our majestic works with others!!!!

Anyway! Hope we’ll all have a happy blogging semester 😀

9. I admire your courage for sharing your opinion and experience in this first blog post. I can’t imagine how challenging it would be to have to step out of my comfort zone like that and write freely in a foreign language for the first time. You may not like the lack of structure at first, but I hope that over time you begin to enjoy it and look forward to the opportunity to write and share your ideas with all of us!

It is difficult (even for native speakers/writers), but the practice will be invaluable to you! Blogging helps us all become better communicators and the more we do it, the more naturally it will come. I am looking forward to learning more about your perspective and experience through your writing this semester!