Hallo Zurich!

Raclette and fondue at Swiss Chuchi
was a great way to kick off our first official day of the Global Perspectives 2013 program.

I have had a wonderful time traveling around Switzerland this past week, visiting a cheese factory, chocolate factory, winery, Zurich, Fribourg, Lausanne, and the amazing Matterhorn in Zermatt. And we have had the wonderful opportunity to travel with a Swiss friend who was an exchange student at Virginia Tech a few years ago. She kept us on time, well fed, and exhausted but deliriously happy.

However, I am definitely ready for a change of pace, and I look forward to visiting some schools and learning more about global higher education beyond what we’ve already discussed with Dean DePauw and each other. I’m excited to talk to people and hear what they think about their educational systems, and I’m really looking forward to how all this multilingual stuff works in a higher ed context. It seems like the definition of what it means to be multilingual shifts depending on the national and cultural context you’re in. I can’t wait to learn more!

Tomorrow: University of Zurich and ETH, here we come!

20130526-234837.jpg