WWTID – VT Cognition, Learning, and the Internet

For my first blog post for Virginia Tech’s Honors Class, Cognition, Learning, and the Internet, I thought I would discuss my impression of some of the things discussed during the first class meeting.

When I added this class, I thought we would be talking about how the Internet and social media has changed multiple things, especially education. However, this class goes much deeper than I thought it would. Yes, we will be discussing social media and how education has been affected by it all, but this class will go much deeper. For example, there are multiple ways people describe “new media” and “cyberculture” and I never knew there was a difference until this class.

At the first class meeting, I learned that I would be blogging, tweeting, adding websites to delicious, etc. Little did I know, this wasn’t going to be easy because I’ve never taken a class like this before, and when I did blog for a class, I was just talking about my progress in a class project. For this class, shortened to VTCLIS12, I am really going to have to step out of my comfort zone on the Internet and search things I never thought I would be looking up.

I’m sure you’re wondering what my title means. “What Would the Internet Do?” comes from the well-known phrase, What Would So-and-so do? I felt that this suited the purpose because of how dependent our society has become on the internet. With Google, Yahoo!, and the other various search engines, I couldn’t imagine not using the internet for any school project just because it helps me figure out where to start.

To end this first post, I would like to say I’m looking forward to this class because I feel that it will not only be interesting, but enlightening on how the Internet has become a dominant player in today’s society.