I’ve been trying for the past week or so to write a post, but the words aren’t doing the wordy thing. So I’m going to try something new this week. Here is a collection of mini-posts and thoughts that I’ve had over the past week– some that I may explore more in later posts, some that are just moments– collected into one place to give a map of thoughts.

“Shelter from the Storm” by Bob Dylan

It’s pretty incredible that Bob Dylan would even be considered for the Nobel Prize in Literature. It’s even funnier that he won’t even make it to the ceremony. I’ve listened to this song so much over the past week trying to figure it out and just can’t. Maybe that’s why he earned it.

Space

“Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist, but that’s just peanuts to space.” 

–Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Skyrim

I’ve been thinking about getting into PC Gaming. I got a new laptop last month– an Asus Republic of Gamers series– and it seems a waste to not use it for gaming. Skyrim is an obvious buy, but the trailer for Dishonored 2 looks cool too. Any thoughts or suggestions on PC Games I should check out?

“First We Take Manhattan” by Leonard Cohen

Goddammit 2016.

Punk, Folk, and the American Idiot

I rewatched this video about Frank Turner’s music, which starts out comparing the Folk Rock of the 60’s to the Punk Rock of the 70’s and 80’s. There was a resurgence of Punk in the first decade of the millennium, and I think we can expect another very soon. Protest music was and is the soundtrack of the disaffected youth. It will be interesting to see how the genre evolves.

“The Waste Land” by T.S. Eliot

DA
Damyata: The boat responded
Gaily, to the hand expert with sail and oar
The sea was calm, your heart would have responded                            420
Gaily, when invited, beating obedient
To controlling hands

Not much, I know, but something. I’ll have a post up for Thanksgiving– just have to wait for it to come ’round on the guitar.