Earlier today as I was going through the readings for this week, I kept asking myself, “What kind of teacher do I want to be?” I had a quick flashback of my student life until now and reminded me of some of the great teachers I have had so far. “What did they do that made them so great?” Although there were some common attributes these teachers shared among each other, each of them had their unique styles that motivated you to be actively involved in the learning process. So…..what style of teaching is the best style? Which one of these teachers do I want to be in future? A very difficult question to answer because, as Dr. Fowler writes,There is not one way to teach or communicate in the classroom, so one size does not fit all.” 

Although I have a vague picture of what I would like to do as a teacher in future, I am still not sure of the kind of teacher I would really like to be. However, I do have a very clear idea of what I do not want to do as a future teacher or in other words, the kind of teacher I do not want to be.

I do not want to be a teacher who,

• Walks in the classroom and starts writing on the board right-after without even turning around once until the end of class hour.
  • Sits on a chair throughout the class time and reads line by line from text books.
  • Assigns a lot of homework assignments but never gives any feedback.
  • Only talks about what is going to be on the tests and defines a learning boundary.
  • Uses the same “teaching formula” for all their students not realizing that each student has different capacities.
  • Speaks in a low monotonic voice.
  • Directly or indirectly forces their students to memorize equations and charts (or rote learn).
  • Only uses the chalkboard to teach.
  • Never asks for any feedback from the students or in other words, doesn’t listen to the student voices.
  • Does not know how to deliver information concisely and effectively.
  • Evaluates students based on the mere grades they receive on the courses.
  • Does not create a welcoming environment for discussion and sharing of ideas both inside and outside of the classroom.
  • Uses the same syllabus, course materials, homework, and tests for decades.
  • Discourages the use of technology in classrooms.
  • Does not give chances to correct the mistakes.
  • Only talks to the first row of students in class.
  • Does not know the subject matter well and is unprepared.
  • ………………………………
  • ………………
  • ……….
  • .

(I think I should stop now because the list just keeps getting longer and longer.)

In short, as a future teacher, I will try my best to avoid all of the above listed things and think of what I could do to make it better. I think the key is “engagement” and my goal is to create the kind of environment that helps foster an effective teaching-learning process.