The Purpose of University Education

The purpose of university education is:

1. to get a job

2. to explore and become yourself

3. to become productive citizens

4. to feed curiosity

5. to question everything

What else? Add suggestions to the comment section…

Category(s): vtnmfs-s13

23 Responses to The Purpose of University Education

1. Are these listed in order of importance?

2. Absolutely not, Adam! I throw these out as suggestions that have been made over the years. I am trying to get a sense of the multiple reasons people give for a college education. I go back and forth between 2 and 3, but I know that there is not ONE reason. But it may be more useful to put one at the center of focus; then others come along with it. So, e.g., if you put getting a job at the center of focus, becoming a responsible citizen may not come along with that. I would argue that putting ‘becoming a responsible citizen’ at the center might bring a job and self discovery along with it. And on like that… What’s at your center? What’s at your periphery?

3. I’m right there with you – In my own words, I’d say higher education at its best serves the purpose of enabling people in their quest to become productive contributors to society. I don’t think higher ed is the only vehicle that plays a role in that. And I think the ways in which people may productively contribute are myriad. And being a productive contributor happens “best” when you know yourself, pursue your passions, understand the systems of the world (especially if you seek to change them!), and lead through service. All of which universities can support and provide outlets and resources toward…

One Response in another blog/article