About Me

Hi everyone,

I’m Dave. I am a third year PhD student in the Management department at Tech. I am very excited to go on the Global Perspectives trip and make lifelong memories. I was born in Sweden but moved to the USA when I was 2 or 3. I grew up outside of Chicago, but have lived along the Mississippi river, Kentucky, Miami, Orange County CA and now Blacksburg. I enjoy reading and hiking. I also love to teach and have been lucky enough to teach both undergraduate and graduate level courses at Tech. One of my learning objectives is to gain a more complete understanding of the differences between European and American universities in terms of cultural expectations for both students and faculty. Further, I hope to gain a sense of whether or not I could see myself being a faculty member at a European university.

My main academic work is in the area of business strategy (how companies compete with one another) but more specifically how companies can be more competitive through technology and innovation.

Given my research interest, I would like to examine how universities in Europe leverage technology in different ways in the classroom or how they attempt to innovate in the classroom. Given this interest my learning objectives are:

1. How do different universities use technology in the classroom? Are their drastic differences between schools?
  2. Are there any fundamental philosophical differences concerning the use of technology between European schools and schools in the United States?
  3. Are universities in Europe concerned about innovating in any area of the university to gain an advantage over other European schools (in terms of recruiting better students or faculty)?

I cannot wait to go on this trip with all of you!

-Dave