(Still editing...)

Just give me a minute to think of something witty to immortalize.

ASEE Code of Ethics

As a student in the Engineering Education department, I have joined the American Society of Engineering Education. This professional organization promotes excellence in engineering education and has a statement of ethics. I find myself agreeing with much of the statement (teachers should educate their students about ethical issues that they may face now and in the future as engineers), but I feel that, as written, it is not as binding as a code and does not cover the wide range of issues that might be faced by engineering educators.

Much of the focus is on what and how students should be taught ethics before becoming engineers out in the field themselves. There is very little about ethical practices regarding the educators themselves and their own teaching and research practices; maybe they are considered to be under the auspices of their other engineering backgrounds (such as ASCE’s Code of Ethics, or IEEE’s)?

1 comment for “ASEE Code of Ethics