For the Future of Higher Ed, Fire the Gig Economy

According to a recent article in Inside Higher Ed, as many as 70 percent of college professors are part-time. Adjuncts are often the focus of contract-to-contract work in higher ed, but this statistic includes postdocs, visiting professors, fellows, and a variety of other distinctions. This lack of job security and the scarcity of tenured positions doesn’t exist in a vacuum; it is part of larger trends in our labor market that value short-term contracts and freelance work.

The gig economy is often excused or valorized as something independent and ambitious millennials want. It’s seen as part of a new work culture that prioritizes new horizons and new experiences. What it offers is precarity.

Herb Childress talks about how the gig economy has impacted higher education in an April 16, 2019, interview in Inside Higher Ed. This interview follows the publication of his most recent book, The Adjunct Underclass: How America’s Colleges Betrayed Their Faculty, Their Students, and Their Mission. “Higher ed is a component of a larger culture that accepts gig work as a norm,” he explained, “that protects consumers but not workers, that devalues work done by women, that faces fundamental demographic shifts and a 30-year population trough on the heels of a gigantic boom.”

Impermanent work — the kind that lacks professional development, job security, time to reflect on teaching, time to collaborate on meaningful research — produces worn out professors and uninspired students who aren’t learning. It undermines the purpose and mission of higher education.

I worked as an English adjunct at Bluefield State College for several years while working as a full-time journalist to support my “teaching habit.” Bluefield just beginning to offer classes in Beckley at the Erma Byrd Higher Education Center alongside two or three other universities. I was the first teacher in this new building.  I had no support staff, administrative assistant, or secretary. My first semester there, I had no access to a printer and no one I could contact if I experienced technical difficulties. I felt completely alone and adrift on an open sea of academia. I carried dry erase markers in my purse. When students needed to meet with me I met them in the lobby and we wandered around until we found an unoccupied room where we could talk privately.

So, I felt unsupported, but I also felt like no one would care if I showed up or not. But I have conflicting feelings because I also found the work some of the most rewarding I’ve ever done. The students, many of whom were first-generation, valued education I was trusted with developing new and more challenging classes. I had complete domain over what classes I taught and when (which was very helpful because I had to schedule them around my other day job).

Despite the positive aspects, it just wasn’t sustainable for me. I worked a job that often required extra time and I could be called to the scene of a crime or a fire at any time, and I was grading papers for as many as 120 students in three classes. Having already done adjunct work, I know how exhausting it is. I know I can’t do gig work long term.

But my point is that this sickness isn’t unique to higher education. Higher education won’t change until we stop valuing gig labor over all else and begin seeing employees has having individual and intrinsic worth.

Childress perhaps says it best: “We have to think of higher ed as a community to which we belong and to which we welcome others. We need to stop treating any of our members as expendable — not the 25 percent of freshmen whom we expect will never become sophomores, not the graduate students teaching on the cheap and running labs, not the postdocs laboring unseen as fourth authors on papers, not the adjuncts teaching first-year and remedial students and transfer/general education courses while the tenured get the upper-division majors and grad students for themselves. We are not business products with an expected amount of process waste: we are whole, beloved, intelligent people invested with every possibility.”

Source:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/04/16/herb-childress-discusses-his-new-book-adjunct-underclass

Filed under Preparing the Future Professoriate

22 Responses to For the Future of Higher Ed, Fire the Gig Economy

1. Ishi Keenum

Thanks for your post! I really like your connection to the gig economy and I agree that it really just adds stress at every turn… I might like one job for 30 years but thats not possible / likely with our current system . I wonder what your proposed mechanisms for change might be and I think it would have to start with a lot of money but also a top down requirement to increase our tenure track / long term faculty.

• splummer

Hi Ishi, I guess my overall (nonspecific) suggestion right now is that we have the change the ways in which our culture praises and valorizes gig work. We can offer more money to return more jobs to tenure track, but until we actually value what comes with experience, there won’t be any lasting change.

2. The future will be amazing!! 0 doubts!

3. I love your blog! I hope to see more posts from you in the future. Really great!!!

4. I’m excited to uncover this page. I need to thank you for your time for this, particularly fantastic read!! I definitely really liked every part of it and I also have you saved to fav to look at new information in your site.

5. Viyona Education is offering the Best IELTS coaching in Ahmedabad, where you have the opportunity to be trained by one of the best IELTS faculty with an overall score of 8.5 bands and an individual band score of 9-9-8-8. Faculty will guide you through this exam, your ability to cope, and your ultimate goal. The purpose of our IELTS coaching class in Ahmedabad is to bridge the gap between our students and their ultimate goal. The Best IELTS Coaching Class We have one of the most equipped preparation centers in Ahmedabad with a state-of-the-art practice lab.

6. IELTS Classes in Ahmedabad– Looking for Best IELTS Coaching Class in Satellite, Ahmedabad Near Me? Online British Academy is the best IELTS coaching Center in Satellite, Ahmedabad. It has 10,000+ happy students and more than 95% of students have achieved their preferred bands in the IELTS exam in the first crack.

7. Join #1 IELTS Coaching Classes Ahmedabad at Navin Julka’s Academy & Get band 8 and Above. Rated as the Top IELTS Coaching Centre in Naranpura, (Ahmedabad). Navin Julka’s Academy provides training & numerous practice tests in listening, writing, speaking, and reading to get your dream IELTS Score! Call ☎ 81288 47113 for more details.

8. Join #1 IELTS Coaching Classes Ahmedabad at Navin Julka’s Academy & Get band 8 and Above. Rated as the best IELTS Coaching Centre in Naranpura, Ahmedabad. Navin Julka’s Academy provides training & numerous practice tests in listening, writing, speaking, and reading to get your dream IELTS Score! Call 081288 47113 for more details.

9. Dr. Yogesh Harwani is one of the top Gastroenterologist and best medical Gastroenterologist, Best gastro surgeon near me in Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodara, Gujarat

10. Hearing Aid Types in Ahmedabad & Best Hearing Aid In Ahmedabad, Vastrapur, Satellite, Navarangpura, C G Road, Ashram Road, Ellis Bridge. Apple Speech and Hearing Clinic provides top Hearing Aids in Ahmedabad, No 1 Hearing Aids in Ahmedabad

11. Best doctor for Joint Replacement surgery Ahmedabad – Top Knee joint replacement surgeon in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, Orthopaedic Doctor near me, Ortho Doctor, Orthopedist specialist surgeon near me, Dr Tejas Gandhi best online orthopedic consultant, total hip replacement surgery cost & knee joint replacement surgery recovery time, Robotic, Revision & Partial knee Replacement surgery cost, Knee Pain hospital in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, Rajasthan.

12. Top Cancer Hospital in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, Rajasthan – Best cancer hospital near me Naranpura? Find best hospital for cancer treatment in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Dr Nishant Sanghvi top oncologist doctor Ahmedabad, Best onco doctor near me, best cancer doctor surgeon for cancer consulting, physician in Satellite, Bopal, Kalol, Mehsana, Surendranagar, Godhra, Kutch, Bhuj, Kheda, Patan, Deesa, Palanpur, Nadiad, Botad, Sanand, Himmatnagar, Anand, Kheda, Gandhinagar, Banaskantha, Viramgam, Amreli, Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Find No 1 Cancer Hospital in Ahmedabad, Top cancer hospital in Gujarat, Best hospital for cancer treatment in Ahmedabad

13. find a doctor for piles specialist in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Dr Chirag Shah is well experienced piles doctor in ahmedabad, Gujarat, Gandhinagar, Vastrspur, Thaltej, Jivraj Park, Vejaplur, Bopal, Kalol, Mehsana, Anand. Patients who got the surgery in Arham Surgical Hospital

14. N Gamadia & Co. is best Foreign Direct Investment Consultants Firms in India, Best Business Support Services Company in India, Best Dtaa Relief Consultant India, Standard Operating Procedure Format in India.

15. Ravi Patil

A classification algorithm is an example of an algorithm. It can categorize data into many groupings. Without modifying a line of code, the same classification system that recognizes handwritten numerals could be used to classify emails into spam and not spam. It’s the same algorithm, but it’s fed different training data, therefore the categorization logic is different. To know more about Machine Learning visit us: machine learning course in Pune.
    https://amara.org/en/profiles/account/

16. Wilson Crona

It gives me great pleasure to discover this page. I want to express my gratitude for taking the time to read this, which was a particularly enjoyable read cookie clicker!! All in all, it was a pleasure reading it, and I have you bookmarked to to out new stuff of your blog.

17. Thanks for sharing. Good blog .
    Digital marketing company in coimbatore,Digital marketing agency in coimbatore,

18. Thanks for sharing. nice blog.Digital marketing company in coimbatore,Digital marketing agency in coimbatore,Digital marketing services in coimbatore,social media marketing companies in coimbatore,Digital Marketing consultant in Coimbatore ,Top Digital marketing company in coimbatore,social media marketing agency coimbatore,internet marketing services in coimbatore and SEO company in coimbatore. https://websitedesigndigitalmarketingcompanycoimbatore.in

19. Best inspirational fitness quotes to take your fitness plan to Healthy Living | Gym | Lose Weight | Diet Recipes | Workout | Success

20. Dr. Shailesh Patel is the best cancer specialist Surgeon in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Contact us at Onco surgeon Ahmedabad, Shivmani Cancer Hospital known as laparoscopy best doctor in Ahmedabad, top laparoscopic surgeon in Ahmedabad