The Empire That Was Russia

red starOur first weekly issue is complete, and looks terrific! The photographs from the Prokudin-Gorskii collection prompted a series of wide-ranging and insightful posts dealing with Imperial Russian society between the Great Reforms and the turn of the century. The themes that seemed most resonant included ethnicity, religion, education reform, economic modernization and religion. There were many strong candidates for the slider, and I wish there had been room for more than five! And some of the comments were substantial enough to warrant a post of their own.  I’ve started a category system to help us keep track of the weekly posts. Ben and I will work on a tag cloud as well so we can find posts by topic across the weekly categories. The motherblog for the motherland is a big project but we have big ambitions.  Congratulations on making this first week so rewarding.  Впреред! (onward)

A. Nelson

I am a historian of Russia with expertise in cultural history and emerging interests in animal studies and environmental history. My current research projects include studies of the Soviet space dogs, the significance of the Belyaev fox domestication project, and the cultural implications of domestication, particularly in Eurasia.