Edutainment: is it entertaining education or educational entertainment?

Let’s say we are sitting in a classroom. The teacher says if you all listen to the lecture carefully then he/she will tell a story in the end! Or, may be the teacher tells a story or says something entertaining every now and then to keep everyone engaged.  Let’s say this method works and results in more learner engagement overall. So it is a productive pedagogical technique to engage learners. However, I don’t like it. I have seen teachers discussing contemporary politics or movies just as a tool to get student’s attention. I think, as long as it is done in a proper context it is OK. For instance, if we are discussing inflation in current political scenario.

My concept of edutainment is different. I think of edutainment as a way to make the learning process fun. To make the learning experience more entertaining, not providing entertainment as and aid to deal with education. By giving the students case studies, project based studies, making it more interactive, increasing more hands on involvement, we can make the entire learning process more entertaining. But I am not going to sing and dance to get my student’s attention. Although, I am not too bad a singer đŸ™‚