Home » Gedi2018-Grad 5114 » Mind Full …, Or Mindful?

Mind Full …, Or Mindful?

When was the last time you REALLY take a shower? This morning? Or yesterday? 

Did you mindfully take a shower? Did you feel the water on your skin or you did all routine tasks while you were half awake, half asleep? Were you actively engaged in the present when you were taking a shower, OR you were thinking about your plans for today and did not understand how you take the shower?

Mindfulness defines as a flexible state of mind in which we are at higher sensitivity to the context and perspective, actively engaged in the present, and noticing changes which consequently, lead to having greater control over our lives.

Engaging in mindful learning helps to draw novel distinctions and avoid mindsets or myths which unnecessarily limit our creativity and innovation. To enhance mindful learning, it is important to think about “how to teach” rather of “what to teach.” If the students learn the concepts mindfully rather than taking the basics for granted and learning the concepts mindlessly, they are more likely to accommodate to changes and broader concepts. To enhance mindful learning, the instructor must teach mindfully and encourage the student to attend to contexts and concepts mindfully. Therefore, to stop student’s mind wandering, distracted, or attending mindlessly to the context; the instructors may develop and implement active learning practices and game in the classes rather than lectures. Moreover, an instructor must approach and develop the content of the material mindfully and from diverse perspective to help the students to take advantages of mindful learning.

Practice Does NOT Make Perfect, Mindful Learning DOES!

As a future instructor, it is always YOUR choice. You can start today to practice mindfulness and live in presence. Start with taking a mindful shower tomorrow morning! And then continue to incorporate mindfulness into your driving, eating breakfast, and other daily activities, then, extend it to your teaching. You can also look for some resources at Virginia Tech to help you become MINDFUL!

7 Responses so far.

1. erinleighvt says:

Hmmm – very interesting point! At first, I was like “I really took a shower last night!” But, when I think about it more, yes, I got into the shower and was clean when I came out, but I was not thinking about being in the shower. I was thinking about how I didn’t want to go to work the next day, how I needed to finish my laundry, and how I hoped my driveway wouldn’t be slippery in the morning. I was not paying attention to the drops of water falling on me, the smell of my shampoo, or of how fortunate I am to have a shower (let alone a hot one). It seems that consistently practicing mindfulness will make us more appreciative and insightful people.

2. Chris says:

I don’t know if I would take it as far as being mindful of every mundane thing that I do. I get it that you should be a mindful and be in the present experience your life. I don’t feel being mindful is an all or nothing approach, rather pick and choose when it is appropriate to be mindful. For instance, I am never going to mindfully drive through Iowa. I would rather think about things that are worth the energy than noticing all the corn that is around. I think it is important to dwell on the past and think of the future, to learn from and prepare for. If I decide to use some mundane basic time to think about those things, it is a choice that I can live with.

3. Amy Hermundstad Nave says:

Thanks for your post! I think it can be a great exercise to take a part of our day and practice being mindful. It is also a slightly different exercise to incorporate mindful learning into our classes. You started to touch on it, but how can we incorporate mindful learning into those active learning situations and games? How can we get students to think about different contexts and perspectives and ideas and approaches? Thanks for the post!

4. Stephen says:

This is a very interesting concept, because it got me thinking about all the things I always do without thinking about it simply because I do them all the time. When I drive, I am used to the same routes when I go to specific places and if I’m not thinking about traffic or other factors, I’ll take the same route each time and sometimes get caught up in traffic. I think teachers should be very mindful of the way they approach facilitating their classes, because although you may have the same students for the entire semester, those same students could have experiences things between the time they are out of class that affects their mindset while in class. Not saying to change your lesson plan completely, but I do think it’s important t gauge those things each day to better influence how the class goes.

5. I think what resonated most with me in your post was the definition of mindfulness: flexibility, higher sensitivity, and CONTEXT! Too often classes draw on, slide after slide, and you wonder…how does this relate to my life? How does this relate to the grand scheme of this subject even? If a subject doesn’t relate to your interests or life, then why would you even waste your time being there? Recognizing this as an instructor shows that you care about the students’ life outside of the classroom.

6. Lehi Dowell says:

Showering is one of my favorite things to do twice a day. But, you are correct, I really don’t enjoy it like I mindfully should. It’s a time of stress release as all my troubles go down the drain and my sleepy brain starts to wake up for the day or tire down for the evening. Occasionally, I’ll lather up with a sponge brush and on those shower days my skin tingles for hours afterwards, and, I actually remember my shower at a later point in the day. I LOVE the dogs thought bubble….it’s so true!! Great post!

Thanks!

Cheers, Lehi.

7. Yan says:

Sogand, Thank you for your post! I like the title and the figure. I agree with your comment. My mind is easily filled with some assumed “pre-known” knowledge, especially when I started my study in graduate school. The lecturers need to work harder on the active learning for the students who might have the same full mind as me.