Sofia’s Teaching page

Teaching Philosophy

I believe that every person has something to teach; every one knows something that someone does not.

My goals as a teacher is to share the acquired knowledge through my career and life, to transfer fundamental knowledge, cultivate critical thinking and curiosity among students. In order to be successful, I will encourage a trustworthy inclusively environment where students can share different perspectives, ideas and experiences without fear. This gives the students abilities and skills to apply relevant concepts and theories, the opportunity to gain deeper understanding from diverse perspectives, and to think out of the box.

Now days, the world is full of accessible information everywhere (e.g. media, social media, books, internet and others). As an instructor, my responsibility is to provide students what technology cannot accomplish yet. To facilitate a context through a social process, to engage passion among students by empowering them giving an active voice in the class, providing support, incorporating their needs and wants, taking into account their strengths and weaknesses.

I acknowledge that a good teacher serves as guide. For me, that means to provide the right material and tools to solve questions rather than solving questions. Moreover, I think that it is fundamental the communication of clear expectations to students and to recognize that each person is different is basic for me. The provision of different type of materials and designing lectures applying multiple learning techniques will ensure the inclusively of all kind o learners (visual, auditory, reading/writing, and kinesthetic).

Teaching can always be improved. Feedback from colleagues and students will be my main source to strengthen my teaching skills and make the needed changes from the lessons learned through the experience.

Teaching & Mentoring Experience

Academic committee member

·       Jose Manuel Orta; student of a Masters in Public Health

School of Public Health, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico

2016-2017
·       Claudia Nieto, BS; student of a Masters in Epidemiology

Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, UNAM, Mexico City, Mexico

·       Annel Martinez; student of BS Nutrition and Food Sciences

Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico City, Mexico

2016-2018
Co-taught two modules of the diploma “Non-communicable Chronic Diseases” to health professionals with Dr. Simon BarqueraNational Institute of Public Health, Cuernavaca Morelos, Mexico

8-11/2016
Taught a special seminar for graduate students enrolled in a course  “Policy-oriented research for the prevention and treatment of obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease” (Summer 2016)

8/2016
Co-taught a course “Design monitoring and evaluation of nutrition and health programs” to graduate students with Professor Annabelle Bonveccio Arenas (Fall-Winter 2014 Semester)School of Public Health, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico

8/2014-2/2015

Co-taught a course “Nutrition and Food Research Strategies” to undergraduate students with Professor Karime Haua (Fall 2014)Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico City, Mexico 8-12/2014