Just a little tenure humor

I found this comic on phdcomics.com while procrastinating studying for finals.

I thought this might make the fodder for a blog post.  We have discussed the many problems with tenure (achieving it as well as learning from it) in class and I thought I would use this comic as a brief reminder of some of the things we have discussed in class.  This cartoon reflects a general lackadaisical attitude toward attending a meeting on time, however one can extend this context to include other aspects of being a professor such as teaching responsibilities or potentially research accomplishments or publicatios.  This is certainly not true in all cases, however, the accountability for tenured professors is often questionable.  Tenured professors, at least historically, are looked at as untouchable.  But this is not entirely true.  According to the NEA (National Education Association), about 2% of tenured professors are dismissed each year.  They discuss the fact that it is difficult to fire a tenured professor (though it does happen), but it is arguably just as difficult to become one.  They also address the fact that most tenured professors apparently came teaching as one of their favorite responsibilities.  For more on the NEA’s brochure on “The Truth About Tenure in Higher Education”, please see the included link.

http://www.nea.org/home/33067.htm

13 thoughts on “Just a little tenure humor”

1. Your website seems to be actually very good. Currently being a weblog writer myself, I really appreciate the time you took in crafting this write-up.

2. ttending a meeting on time, however one can extend this context to include other aspects of being a professor such as teaching responsibilities or potentially research accomplishments or publicatios. This is certainly not true in all cases, however, the accountability for tenured professors is often questionable. Tenured professors, at least historically, are looked at as untouchable. But this is not entirely tr

3. ssed in class. This cartoon reflects a general lackadaisical attitude toward attending a meeting on time, however one can extend this context to include other aspects of being a professor such as teaching responsibilities or potentially research accomplishments or publicatios. This is certainly not true in all cases, however, the accountability for tenured professors is often questionable. Tenured professors, at least historically, are looked at as untouchable. But this is not entirely true. According to the NEA (National Education Association), about 2% of tenured professors are dismissed each year. They

4. logist, I realize there is more to it than the practical skills of keying out or pinning insects. Sometimes it seems like we’re made to feel that the best scientist is the most emotionless one. This is why Parker Palmer’s essay is so valuable. Emotions and ethics have an important role to play in guiding our actions professionally and personally. Rather than acting as we’re

5. ith tenure (achieving it as well as learning from it) in class and I thought I would use this comic as a brief reminder of some of the things we have discussed in class. This cartoon reflects a general lackadaisical attitude toward attending a meeting on time, however one can extend this context to include other aspects of being a professor such as teaching responsibilities or potentially research accomplishments or publicatios. This is certainly not true in all cases, however, the accountability f

6. They also address the fact that most tenured professors apparently came teaching as one of their favorite responsibilities. For more on the NEA’s brochure on “The Truth About Tenure in Higher Education”, please see the included link.