New Ways of Looking at Learning

I recently watched a TedX talk on YouTube called “What Baby George Taught Me About Learning” (Wesch, 2016) as part of a cross-disciplines class I am taking about pedagogy. Pedagogy is an area that I only began to pay significant attention to recently and in which I am still forming my own foundational views. I found the video emotionally engaging and was encouraged by the speaker’s emphasis on asking and addressing such questions as “Who am I?”, “What am I going to do?”, “Am I going to make it?”, and how to “build a life worth living”. These are all questions that are also found and emphasized in my own discipline, counseling.

The class discussion that corresponded with the assignment of this video brought up some interesting ideas regarding learning and how we measure, and even police, that learning. We have found plentiful ways of keeping students accountable for what they are doing in their classes, but we may have lost some of the focus on growing, transforming, and becoming. As I am forming my perspective on pedagogy, I am increasingly coming to believe that these are an essential part of true learning.

I do, however, continue to feel conflicted on the topic. My personality tends toward structure, rule following, and the concrete. On the other hand my field (counseling) tends to place a much greater emphasis on growth, development, and “being” rather than doing. My hope is that these conflicting pulls in me will contribute to the development of a healthy and balanced view of learning that I am able to apply in the real world.

Reference

Wesch, Michael. (2016, April 15). What Baby George Taught Me About Learning [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP7dbl0rJS0&feature=youtu.be

6 Replies to “New Ways of Looking at Learning”

1. I watch the video too, and I agree with you Skinzie. Also, I think the learning is not just to be in a classroom as a traditional way with hardcopy materials or just networked it through the web and the social media, the learning should be through using educational theories and models to keep the class active, the learner engaged, and the learning useful.

• Thanks for your comment! I definitely agree about the importance of keeping learners actively engaged! I also believe that this active engagement is an area that many of us are weak in creating. I hope that we are trending toward a greater level of skillfulness in this area.

2. Hi,

I think it’s wonderful that you are considering how different traits of your character would respond to the subjects of this course. That’s something I’ve never done at the beginning of my classes! What contemporary pedagogy can offer is a little bit of tinkering with the definitions of achievement and success. And as you point out, maybe shifting the attention a little bit away from how students are doing in tests to what they are doing for their life.

• Arash,
      Thanks for your comment! I am excited to explore new angles of looking at education and learning and, as you mention, new definitions to words that I have used with a certain set of connotations in the past!

3. I really enjoyed the aspects you brought up about focusing on growing, transforming, and becoming. It reminded me of a quote by Viola Spolin (the mother of Theatre Improvisation) that “we learn through experiences and experiencing, and no one teaches anyone anything.” I often find myself asking what is the culture we can adopt in our classrooms that can foster these traits.