Diversity drives us move smarter

I was amazed at the relationship between diversity in workspace and the sales profits. And I believe diversity brings more creativity and critical thinking in working environment, especially in academic areas.

Based on my own study abroad and travel experience, I found that people who speak different language think in different ways. Partly of the reason is that the grammar is different, for instance, the sequence of words or phrases that you put into sentence. That will affect the sequence of which part of the sentence comes to our mind first, thus reflects on the priority in our thinking.

Additionally, we all admit that the ideology is very different based on culture. As the globalization moving forward, there is a strong need that the students want to learn about different cultures and how everything works in different regions around the world, so they can better survive in the globalized work market. I was talking with a winemaker in New Zealand on the wine sale in China. His company wanted to open the market in China, tried very hard to import their wine to China. But they were kind of failed, until one Chinese guy helped them set up the representative office in China, took care of the Chinese officials who oversee the wine market, and used the local advertisement and promotional skills to open the market. There are some tricks in this, and the single Chinese representative well played the game and increased the wine sales much more.

Multinational corporations embrace diversity. Sadly, it is not easy for international students to get in. Companies, like Nestle and PepsiCo in US, state very clearly in the job postings that they will not hire students who need Visa sponsorship. It is totally understand from the profit perspective, and the diversity they are looking for is the diversity within people who are US citizen or with permanent residency.

It is fun working with people from different background and culture, and I really enjoy it. This is one of the main reasons that I came to US for graduate school; the diversity within myself isĀ strengthened, and hopefully will make me smarter.

7 thoughts on “Diversity drives us move smarter”

1. Hi Sihui, I have been hearing that the issue of diversity will become an issue after the grad school, since the Academia is way more “educated” on this issue. Looking for internships for next year, I can definitely feel what they meant and what you’re mentioning here. There is a long way to walk through..

2. I see your point about diversity within as opposed to hiring international individuals, but what you are talking about is immigration related problems in hiring (I understand that it is a larger issue dictated by the government) and not necessarily diversity related (but we can keep our fingers crossed and hope that this eases up).

3. Ayesha, although I agree with you that the basic point of these companies in hiring international applicants seem to be the immigration issues, it is clear that immigration is actually not a big deal in this global world. If you (can) work in a job, you are (just) fine. I think those regulations cover a lot of issues, that Sihui touched partly.

4. Hopefully as time moves on, we will see a more open, global society. Immigration issues are part of the problem, but the underlying cause may not be immigration after all, which is unfortunate. As we saw in this week’s readings, diversity boosts sales. This is certainly an area that needs improved upon.

Thanks for sharing!
    Turner

5. I also think that in order to address some of the complex problems in the world today, we need complex solutions which require an understanding of multiple cultures. Cultural diverse solutions will be the only way to solve global problems and in order to do this we will all need to become more inclusive, especially our governments.

6. It’s an very interesting topic! In education, the most important thing is that we need to respect diversity. But respect is not to think and talk differently without communication. Any form of communication, including teaching and learning, requires universality. I think when we deal with specific issues in the communication we should have a same set of criteria, but when we step a level higher to look as communication its self we need respect difference in language and culture.

7. Going back to the article about the experiment on the relationship between sales and diversity, one caveat I see is that the project took place in the USA, obviously a very diverse country racially speaking. So it makes sense that when a company caters its products and/or advertising to the whole demographic pool and not just to a section of it (even if it is the largest section), its sales increase. That is the same reasoning behind multinational corporations wanting a diverse make-up of their staff: so that they can adequately target the different makets. I would be interested, however, in seeing the results of this same experiment in a country with a very homogeneous population. I doubt we would get the same results.

Looking for a connection of this topic with higher education, one of the main benefits I see of having a diverse student and faculty pool is that we are educating generations of people in being accustomed to interacting with other people who are very much unlike them. Even those who are reluctant to mingle with “others”, may end up being somewhat permeable to changing their perceptions and biases (even if only slightly), just out of everyday exposure to the ones that are different. I always say that everybody in the world should live for at least a couple of years as an expat to broaden their perspective of the world.