Practical wisdom is what we need!

How many times have we heard the phrase: “we are just doing fundamental research…” when asking (read “challenged”) a fellow researcher about their source of funding or, even responded, ourselves, when we were “asked” about the same thing? How many times have we asked ourselves who is paying us to do what we do, what will our research be used for? (I suspect, based on the pat response when I ask my colleagues, it’s another inconvenient truth.)

Reading Parker Palmer’s article reminded me of the two TED talks by Barry Schwartz on Practical Wisdom (see this for more stories about using or not using our practical wisdom). What we need are professionals who go beyond the procedures, individuals who bend the rules to do the right thing or allow others to do so.

4 Responses to Practical wisdom is what we need!

1. Amy Hermundstad

Thanks for the post, and thanks for sharing those TED Talks! I really appreciate the statement of doing the right thing and helping others make changes and improvements as well.

2. Many thanks for your post Shadi, I followed tour suggestion and watched Barry Schwartz’ talk (really interesting) , and liked his idea (and yours at the end of your post) of morality “That any work you do that involves interaction with other people is a moral work and any moral work depends upon moral wisdom!”

3. We appreciate your content, is very explanatory and helpful, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us

Best regards

Your follower,

Alex

• Shadi

Thank you Alex! I had completely forgotten that I used to write here. I didn’t know these posts are still available. Thanks for reading and stopping by! 🙂

Shadi