• Teaching Philosophy

I have worked in different settings with kids aged six weeks to seventeen years old. I have taught tennis at two different camps, worked at two different preschools, and one-on-one babysitting. I’ve spent a lot of time working with kids and many different teachers. I’ve enjoyed working with different age children in different settings and being able to observe different teachers and teaching philosophies.¬†The most interesting experience I’ve had working with children was working in a Montessori school that cared for infants, toddlers, and young children. They had programs for children ages six weeks to three years, a Children’s house that serves children ages three to six years, and a lower elementary school serving ages six years to nine years.

The Montessori method is not simple but some of the aspects that I observed I think were highly effective and things that can be beneficial if implemented more widely across childcare. I found that in the infant and toddler environments the children were capable of much more than I have seen in other environments. Allowing young children to try a new skill or activity before stepping in to help them leads to more messes but it allows the children the chances to learn new skills at a faster rate. The Montessori school I worked at also allowed the children to go outside to play without shoes on. Every other preschool I’ve hear about requires children of all ages to wear shoes outside. Allowing kids the freedom to run around barefoot not only gives them autonomy but is healthy for their physical development. Another aspect I thought was unique but very helpful was that children were not moved up to the next classroom based on age, as many other preschools do it. They were moved up based on the skills they had attained. Because young children can vary so much in when they reach certain milestones or attain skills, such as sitting up on their own, walking, eating solid food, potty training, and etc, it made great sense to me that kids were moving classrooms based on their skills and not age. Moving kids based on skills and not age is not only beneficial to the children, it is very helpful for the teachers.

As a teacher with many students in a classroom knowing that each child has the minimum skills needed to be successful with certain tasks on their own is very helpful. Not worrying that a child can’t put on their own shoes or can’t walk outside makes teaching 10 children much easier. The Montessori method doesn’t necessarily require more effort by the teachers, but it requires specialized training to understand the method.¬†Different children all learn best in different ways. I think the most important part of being a teacher is understanding that and finding a way to help every child learn.

Fleming, N. (2019, April 25). A Public School Makes the Case for ‘Montessori for All’. Retrieved May 5, 2019, from https://www.edutopia.org/article/public-school-makes-case-montessori-all

What is Montessori Education? (n.d.). Retrieved May 5, 2019, from https://montessori-nw.org/what-is-montessori-education