• Digital Pedagogy

Posted on September 29th, 2019 sbbaron 9 comments

Because of this class Blogging caught my eye first on the list of keywords. This course has given me a good experience with blogging. Putting thoughts and ideas out there to share for the class to see is a great way for individuals like me who are a little less talkative in class to still share our opinions and experiences. I think it’s important to have an outlet for those less comfortable talking in class and I think blogging can provide that outlet in almost any field or class offered. Not only does blogging allow a place for opinions and thoughts to be shared, it also forces student to become more comfortable with technology and sites that support blogging. Sometimes we don’t realize just by being forced to use a new site we are improving our digital literacy because learning how to use a new site is a skill in itself.

(Tolisano, n.d.)

Blogging isn’t for everyone though and that could present a challenge that I’m sure occurs even in this class. As semesters go on blog posts tend to get shorter and shorter and some students start to do the bare minimum to get credit. I think balancing how much credit the blogs are worth is important to obtain the amount of participation you want. Making the blogs worth enough to encourage critical thinking and participation is important, but not making them worth so much that they become a stressor is just as important. The blogs in this class I think are a good balance, they aren’t too much work but count for enough credit that we want to put in good work.

Tolisano, S. R. (n.d.). 3 Reasons You Should Share and 3 Things You can Do to Start Sharing. Retrieved September 29, 2019, from http://www.curriculum21.com/2014/12/.

9 responses to “Digital Pedagogy” RSS icon

• Hi Sarah! I really like the idea about making later blogs worth more (maybe). I am certainly one of those people that just ends up writing the absolute bare minimum come later in the semester, mostly due to time and the like. It definitely requires a good balance between the students and the professor so that the most is gotten out of the assignment. Nobody wants to do an assignment they are getting nothing out of.

• In a class like this it is almost required that people talk and share their own ideas about the many different topics that we cover. I think you’re right that blogging is a great way to get (force) everyone to share their own ideas whether they want to or not. Being able to articulate your thoughts accurately and to a somewhat large audience is an important skill that has many uses outside of and in college.
      That being said I don’t like blogging or really sharing my opinion with people I don’t know… but that’s just me. The hardest part about these blogs is in generating my own interest in a particular topic to write about.

• Hi Sarah!It is a great post. Until this class, I used to think that blogging is used socially rather than academic work. Then I realized people write bare minimum, maybe two paragraphs. I think it is due to work load we have in school but also the students might have to write about a topic they are not confident. Even if they write short posts they at least try. For our class it is a great way to get credits for our assignments.

• Another great blog post Sarah. I also chose “Blogging” as one of my curated terms because of this class. And just like you, this class introduced me blogging. Because, there is not enough time, I find Blogging to be a powerful tool for students to express their views on a specific class-related topic. Having been blogging for almost a year now, I am thinking of starting another series of blog in my own field.

• Sarah, I honestly was not a great fan of blogging before this class. Probably because I did not have much experience or just “the fear of the unknown”. However, I think blogging is another great way of communication between students. If the teacher’s vision is to allow students to communicate their thoughts and work throughout the semester, I think a combination approach is good. Combining group work, presentations/posters, and blogging.

• Blogging appears to be much like sketching in that it serves, I would argue, the same dual-purpose.  Blogging, much like sketching, is a means for STORING ideas, as you seem to argue, as well as BRAINSTORMING others.  It is cognition embodied, essential to any ideation.  Consider the following excerpts on sketching from Hartson and Pyla (2019):

A.  “Sketching captures ideas into an embodied and tangible form; it externalizes the mental description of an idea for sharing, analysis, and archiving.  By opening up new pathways to create new ideas, sketching acts as a multiplier in ideation” (p. 315).
      B.  “Designers invent while sketching.  A sketch is not just a way to represent your thinking; the act of making the sketch is part of the thinking … In fact, the sketch itself is less important than the process of making it” (p. 316).

Now reconsider the preceding excerpts with respect to blogging:

A.  “[Blogging] captures ideas into an embodied and tangible form; it externalizes the mental description of an idea for sharing, analysis, and archiving.  By opening up new pathways to create new ideas, [blogging] acts as a multiplier in ideation” (p. 315).
      B.  “Designers invent while [blogging].  A [blog] is not just a way to represent your thinking; the act of making the [blog] is part of the thinking … In fact, the [blog] itself is less important than the process of making it” (p. 316).

• Thank you for sharing Sarah! It is important to provide a safe and brave space for everyone to communicate their thoughts. Just like you said, some people may not be very comfortable expressing their opinion in class and may find blogging as a good outlet to speak their mind. I think when it comes to finding the right balance, the expectations should be set from the very beginning of the class, similar to what we did. I believe this will help students better understand what is expected of them.

• Thank you for sharing Sarah. I am really having a similar experience with blogs and blogging. Always I had the intention to have a blog but I never tried. because I am taking this class I was forced to create a personal blog. To be honest, the concept of the blog could really change my teaching approach. I really want to incorporate blogging into my future classes that I will be teaching. My experience in blogging in this class opened many ideas that can be implemented using blogging to maximize the involvement and interaction of students.

• Sarah, I totally agree with you that blogging is a channel for those who do not express themselves well in class. It is a way to reflect on topics discussed in class from different perspectives. It allows you to share your thoughts without being restricted to a certain format or structure. It also opens the door for discussions with others.