Ph.D., student, current. Architecture and Design Research, Virginia Tech; expected graduation May 2021.
M.L.A., Landscape Architecture. Mississippi State University, 2015 Thesis: Examining the relationship between avifauna and green roofs in Mississippi’s humid-subtropical climate. December 2014 defense.
B.F.A., Fine Art, Sculpture emphasis, Mississippi State University, 2009 Thesis: Material Study.
Mississippi School for Mathematics & Science, 2004
Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant, Landscape Architecture Program, School of Architecture + Design, College of Architecture and Urban Studies, Virginia Tech, Fall 2016 – current
- Fall 2016: Program Communications & Research Assistant
- Spring 2017: Teaching Assistant for Landform Function & Aesthetics
- Fall 2017: Program Communications & on the planning team for the 2018 Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture Conference
- Fall 2017-Summer 2018: Research Assistant on the Chattahoochee National Water Trail Conceptual Plan Project
- Spring 2018: Teaching Assistant Landform Function & Aesthetics
Sales, Green Oak Garden Center LLC, Jackson, MS, November 2014 – June 2015 Designer, consultant, and salesperson for Green Oak. I met with clients, heard their requests, needs, and visions, and then produced for them custom design solutions. Green Oak is a full service Florist and Garden Center with a Design Department that provides Landscape, Interiorscape, Colorscape, and Christmascape services. I used all of the resources available to my business to fulfill the needs of my clients.
Resident Gardener, Department of Landscape Architecture, MSU, Summer 2014 Designed and implemented an art installation in department entrance, maintained flower beds there & at wildflower arboretum located at North Farm, contributed to Zuber Park Stream Restoration & Pollinator Garden.
Teaching Assistant, Department of Landscape Architecture, MSU, Fall 2012 – Spring 2014
- Fall 2012: Landscape Systems & Plant Communities
- Spring 2013: Computers in Landscape Architecture
- Fall 2013: Introduction to Landscape Architecture
- Spring 2014: Computers in Landscape Architecture
Wait Staff Manager/Bartender, Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern, Starkville, MS, May 2009 – June 2012 Created schedules, calculated payroll, contributed to weekly staff meetings, managed social media, handled vendors, encouraged promotional & marketing opportunities.
Departmental Advisory Board Member (2017- present), Department of Landscape Architecture, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, Mississippi State University
CELA 2018 (Blacksburg) Planning Committee Member. (Spring 2017-Spring 2018). Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture International Conference. Specifically planned and coordinated the five site tours across Southwest Virginia.
Hike Leader in and around the New River Valley through Hike it Baby!
Community Workshop Participant, Feb. 9, 2018, “Turner Pedestrian Passage,” Landscape Architecture Program, Virginia Tech
Kalu Yala Entrepreneurial Internship, Panama City, Panamà. Outdoor Recreation Intern, Summer 2013 Spent 3 months living off the grid at an intentional community. Primary project: designed/built a sand filter for community grey water treatment. Contributed to multiple intern projects with interns from other Kalu Yala areas of interest.
MSU Department of Landscape Architecture Design/Build: Oktibbeha County Heritage Museum (OCHM), Summer 2012 Participated in the comprehensive development and construction of multiple site features including the cistern, green roof pavilion, signage and parking lot wheel stops.
HONORS & AWARDS
• 2018 VTGrATE (Virginia Tech Graduate Academy for Teaching Excellence) member; teaching resource and mentoring program, Virginia Tech
• 2018 Preparing the Future Professoriate: Global Perspectives Program participant, Graduate School, Virginia Tech
• 2016-2017 Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award, College of Architecture and Urban Studies, School of Architecture + Design, Landscape Architecture Program, Virginia Tech
• 2016-2017 Citizen Scholar Recipient, Hike it Baby! New River Valley; Citizen Scholar Engagement and Transformative Graduate Education, Virginia Tech
• 2014-2015 Outstanding Thesis Award, Dept. of Landscape Architecture, MSU
• 2013-2014 ASLA Merit Award for Excellence in the Study of Landscape Architecture, MS Chapter
• 2013-2014 Planning & Design Award, Dept. of Landscape Architecture, MSU
• 2013-2014 Communications Award, Dept. of Landscape Architecture, MSU
• 2013 MSASLA Merit Award, Student Award for Community Service: OCHM
• 2013 ASLA Award of Excellence in Student Collaboration for OCHM
• 2012-2013 Outstanding Community Service Award, Dept. of Landscape Architecture, MSU
• 2012-2013 Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Dept. of Landscape Architecture, MSU
• 2011 Matthew Gaskin Memorial Scholarship recipient; 9 years of service industry experience
• 2004-2008 MTAG/MSG, State of Mississippi
• 2004-2008 Academic Scholarship, MSU
• 2015 Certified Nursery Professional, Mississippi Nursery & Landscape Association
• 2014-2015 Built a 600 sf Tiny Home
• 2014 CELA Conference, Baltimore, MD. Oral presentation on thesis topic
• 2014 Completed Frostbite Half Marathon, Starkville, MS
• 2013-2014 MSU Department of Landscape Architecture Woodshop Certified
• 2009 Senior Thesis Art Show. Material Study. Department of Art, MSU
AutoCAD, ArcGIS Pro, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, SketchUP, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Quickbooks
Italy: Summer 2008 (MSU, Department of Art) Study on Italian landscape & culture through design. Hosted through the Vicenza Institute of Architecture.
Switzerland: Summer 2018 (VT, Graduate School) Theme: Evolving U.S. & European Higher Education [Areas of Research: 1. Teaching & Learning 2. Open Access 3. Diversity & Inclusion 4. Trends in Doctoral education]
Addressing Impairment in Streams by Design
Watershed Sensitive Design
Low Impact Development
(Urban) Ecosystem Services
Landscape and Structural Relationships