Introductions from a Global Diversity & Community Perspective

I’m doing this a little bit out of order. Ideally, I would have written a little bit about what I’m doing with Diversity for Global Society before my first post, to give it a little context, but that blog post is still in draft form.

Anyway, below is my response to the course’s first blog prompt. It was written after I had to respond to a series of deep-thinking questions about who I am, what bothers me, where I come from, what my goals, dreams, and aspirations are. It was a nice lead into thinking about what to write for this prompt–which ended up being MUCH shorter than the response I gave for the self-reflection exercise I mentioned above.

Hopefully I will get this other post up soon to give a little context to this experience I am going to have in Diversity for Global Society here at Virginia Tech.

Blog Prompt 1:

Where do you call home?

Home is Jackson, MS.

I actually made a little map for my other post from the Interdisciplinary Studio, so I will flash that up again. I have marked places that I have lived or called home in my life. (Not counting any long-term travel experiences.)

When people ask you questions like “what’s your background?” or “what’s your family ancestry?” and other similar questions about your inherited and/or chosen background, what do you usually tell them?

I do know that my family origins are heavily Western Europe: England, Scotland & Ireland. There is some Native American in my family and African as well, but I am really not sure where-from. That is actually a little bit troubling. My late great aunt was working on our family genealogy and she discovered something she didn’t want to know and she destroyed her research. On the other side, it’s been a while since I’ve looked at our genealogy, so I am a little ignorant about my background. I’m sure I’m not remembering everything or even remembering it correctly. I have many questions about my origins.

I am from the state of Mississippi’s capitol, Jackson, MS. My family is from Greenville, MS, which some argue is the heart of the Delta. Taking it a little broader, though, I identify myself as a United States and a member of the global community—just one soul in the human race.

Do you feel you have a community here at Virginia Tech? Why/why not? When do you feel you have a part in a community at Virginia Tech?

I do feel like I have a community. I actually feel very connected to different groups within the university. As a broad stroke, I feel like I belong here at Tech—no matter where I am, I am a member of this community. I feel like the Landscape Architecture program is my family. We are all so close and I am friends with everyone in my program, whether it be students or faculty. I also feel within a community thinking about the Graduate School in general. I really enjoy my classes with other graduate students—I feel within a multi-cultural community here. I really LOVE it because historically I have made long-lasting friendships and I believe that I will have a similar experience coming out of my time at VT.

I guess I feel like I’m a part of these communities because of the culture that they all promote. From the top-down, every place that makes me feel welcome is the result of the people who are already there. Everyone is always so nice, so welcoming…it’s hard not to feel like you belong when you get in with groups like these. 

image credits

pink “hello” monster

Nation-Flags on hands

Virginia Tech logo