Week 5: Academic Honesty, The Lab, and More…

“The Lab” was a pretty cool experience. It reminded me of something similar I had experienced through ORI, which was called “The Research Clinic”. I wrote a post about it called ORI’S way to promote Ethical Research.

“The Lab” was interesting in the sense that, even with ethical decisions, one should think about the steps taken deeply. For example, I chose to be the graduate student– Ken. At first, I chose to face Greg with the data at question… And that caused me to have to start all over, and reconsider my decision to face him. And then I realized that the options given were limited, to cause us to not create conflicts with lab mates due to a possible data falsification. What this taught me is that it’s okay to stand-up for our beliefs that side with ethics, but to do our best not to cause ourselves excessive inconvenience or issues. In other words, a whole lab doesn’t need to find out that you think that Greg falsified his data… Just the right people!

As for ethics in the news, I feel like that’s something that always comes up on a regular basis. Ethics will forever be a part of the day to day life…  I heard in my Contemporary Pedagogy class about the ethical issues occurring at Mount St. Mary’s regarding trying to discourage “high risk” students from staying in the school.. That is to say, of course, that graduation rates are high, and not include these people in the data… etc.  And this involved the expulsion of some faculty and reinstating them again… A lot can be found here on Google News.

I find the video made by Turnitin interesting, as to why people plagiarize. There are several different causes that motivate people to cheat, according to them. However, the interesting part is, many students don’t count what they’re doing as cheating. Or they don’t necessarily realize it. That to me I found interesting. As to the content of their research, what that summarizes to is if you motivate students, inspire them, teach them well, and teach them ethics… You’ll eliminate the majority of cheating. We just need to get students interested, and teach them ethics… Inspire them, and they’ll do all the magic.

To help students stick within an ethical frame, one must find a way to teach students ethics, and set out the ground rules. Shall students know the rules well, and shall they receive the guidance, mentorship, and resourcefulness to get things done correctly, they will… I think it’s important to remind students of the importance of ethics and how to follow the rules, etc…