I’ll admit it: I hate blogging (Week 1)

Perhaps it’s because I’ve only ever been forced to blog for classes that I find it boring – and challenging. To me, the point of a blog is that people willingly share their thoughts with the public, on any topic. This allows for freedom of expression and a personal flare to the writing. Therefore, I struggle to understand why blogging is such a phenomenon among professors right now, even after reading more about blogging as a form of academia. By requiring it for a course, doesn’t that limit and prohibit full honesty in the writing? But I must say, I’m completely open to changing my mind on the matter! And I say all of this to be completely upfront in the hopes that my writing has more truth to it. In blogs for other courses, the writing never sounded like me because I was forcing it.

Moving on. . .as a lover of travel and all things international, I should be the first person to back blogging. How cool is that I can read about students’ lives across the world through a blog or Twitter? On the other hand, I have Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, and whatever other social media platforms may emerge in the future, to keep my global friendships alive. Are we looking at these platforms as forms of learning and education, as well? A picture is worth a thousand words, so imagine all we can learn from a person’s 167 Instagram posts! However, I recognize (and agree) that social media is not real life, and it’s only a snippet of a person’s reality – if at all. Can the same be said of blogging? Isn’t it just another form of a person trying to show the rest of the world how smart, cultured, and open-minded they are? #woke

I’m 24 years old. Facebook became huge when I was in 8th grade and we still had to hide our MySpaces from our parents. Ever since, I’ve been so tightly connected to the internet and technology. My phone is rarely out of sight, and I’ve recently made a point to leave it locked away in another room so I could start enjoying the real world again. I don’t need to check Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, and even Venmo, on a loop while watching Real Housewives of New York on the TV and reading BuzzFeed on my laptop. Maybe I worry blogging will just strengthen that technology reliance even more. Instead of learning about education, cultures, fashion, art, cooking, and so on through a blog, shouldn’t I be pushing myself to go out and experience those things firsthand?

And here I’ve gone and done exactly what I critique bloggers for – rattled off my opinion on a subject that I’m not well-versed in and that people probably don’t care to hear. And hey Dan Cohen, tweeting doesn’t always have to be an intellectual commentary on one’s professional field. I like reading about what people had for breakfast on Twitter!

6 Replies to “I’ll admit it: I hate blogging (Week 1)”

1. Experience cooking, or watch someone cook? Experience eating, or watch someone eat? (Have you ever seen the mukbang videos on youtube? Individuals eat copious amounts of food while thousands watch…) I too can become concerned that technology takes too much away from experiencing life, especially when the photo seems more important than the experience. I also though have greatly benefited from the information on blogs and the web – information that has become so easily accessible. And while I don’t interface as well with technology as my grandchildren, I see the vast networks my sixteen year old grand-daughter developed across the country and the world that involves her in learning – albeit learning about things such as food, fashion and k-pop bands. That said, some kind of balance seems to be in order….

2. I’m right there with you. I’ve been apprehensive about blogging because it’s so far out of my comfort zone that I feel it will sound insincere or that I might not be able to voice my opinion the same as I would in a paper for class. That being said, I’m also trying to keep an open mind with the process in hopes that blogging may be something I come to enjoy and in turn, helps my writing.

3. Thank you for your post Sara! I understand the skepticism related to blogging. What we want to do here is to encourage (not force) you to blog…thinking of it as a journal activity that can be read by other and commented on. In the above two comments you already have some agreements to what you said…how fun to maybe provide that for your students. A way to encourage or facilitate their thought expression – which sometimes in the classroom may not happen…?!

4. I’m right there with you in not being a huge fan of blogging. I think knowing that the blog is part of your grade, and knowing that your teachers and fellow students are the primary readers changes the way that you write. I’ll try to write a blog that is for me, as I would a private journal, but knowing there’s an outside audience causes me to second guess and overthink what I’m writing. I agree with you that it’s limiting for the blogging genre.

5. I cannot agree with you any more! Haha! I feel the same. I like sharing my travel, my food and my life on Instagram, simply because I want to do it, instead of being required to do it. To be honest, I’m kind of a person who doesn’t feel quite comfortable to share opinions in public. It may take me half of day to think about what I should and shouldn’t say, even on facebook!!! To some degree, it is bad, especially in academia. However, lots of people may get into troubles, just because they are being too real. :p On the other hand, I’d like to take blogging as a way to know students or other professors outside of their works as a person, like their interests, cultures, travels and etc.
    Anyway! If there is a like button here, I will click it!!! Hope we all have a happy blogging semester! 😀

6. Hahaha. I have to admit this blog title made me laugh. I think that is the fun in blogging though. I’m on the same page as you – it is not my favorite thing, however, being able to laugh a bit while still learning is refreshing. I understand having concerns about freedom in regards to blogging being assigned by professors. I would say that most the professors that I’ve had that have assigned blogging have been fairly lenient about what students can and cannot post. That is what keeps it enjoyable. But I do agree that when a professor assigns a prompt and enforces it strictly, it kind of defeats the purpose.

I also have to second your comment about blogging about breakfast. Ha! I try to incorporate both my research and my personal life into my social media interactions as I typically work with consumers. I want them to recognize that I’m a real human being just as much as I am a scientist too.