Step Two (Sources) – 3/20

What I Did

My project is a PostSecret-style blog showcasing Ginny Weasley’s confessions during the plot of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I found three sources for my project:

1. The novel Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling.

2. The movie Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002).

3. Ginny Weasley’s character page from the Harry Potter wiki on Wikia.

Why I Did It

1. This one seems like a pretty obvious choice for my project, since it’s the originator of the story. As a novel, it is primarily linguistic, and it also will be the source for any quotes that I decide to use.

2. As a primarily visual version of the story, this will provide a different perspective on the story than the novel. Although there are always differences between book and movie versions of the same story, I feel that the movie will still be a credible source because it does its best to stick to the original plotline, and J.K. Rowling condones the film adaptation. Additionally, I might be able to use the gestural/aural elements of the movie to enhance the primarily linguistic, visual, and spatial elements of my project.

3. This is especially helpful, because it takes the storyline and tells it from Ginny’s perspective, focusing exclusively on Ginny’s part in the story and her relationships with those around her. Although the credibility of this source is more questionable than the other two sources, I think it’s still usable. The Harry Potter fandom is diverse and great in size, and sites like this one are constantly being verified by fans. So I think it’s safe to assume that any possible errors on this page would have been corrected by this point.

Taken together, I think these three sources will be great for giving me ideas to use in my project. They all, at points, highlight Ginny’s emotions and thoughts about the plotline of the story, which will be helpful in deciding on the details of my project.