Step Ten (Gifs) – 4/17

What I Did

1. I attempted to figure out if I could upload my postcards as gifs so that they would be animated like photographs are in the Harry Potter world.

2. I found images for some of my postcards (stone for the Hermione secret and gothic architecture for the Halloween one).

Why I Did It

1. I wanted to add the gestural mode of communication to my blog, so I thought it would be neat to have some of my postcards (like the one where Tom Riddle is writing back to Ginny in the diary) be animated. So I looked online to see if I could find an easy, free way to make gifs, and I found a million free options, but none of them are particularly easy. Essentially, I would have to take a bunch of pictures as I make the postcards and then upload them all into a really rapid video gif file. I’m not 1000% ruling this out yet, but I’m definitely going to work on the postcards that aren’t going to be animated first and then come back and see if I have the time (and skill) for this.

2. I need these background images before I can start construction. It turned out to be a lot harder than I thought to find good representations of the wall I wanted to emulate from the movies.

One Response to Step Ten (Gifs) – 4/17

1. tengrrl says:

I think this plan makes sense. Definitely leave that more complicated card for last, and then you can do whatever you have time and energy left to make it special.