Step Eleven (Postcards) – 4/22

What I Did

1. I made my postcards!

2. I added a link to a description of my project to my blog.

Why I Did It

1. This was the biggest part of completing my project. I made all seven postcards and uploaded them to my blog. Here’s a little rundown of why each one looks the way it does:

1. I have a crush on Harry Potter: I think this one’s pretty obvious. I wanted it to be pink, and 10-year-old girly, and Valentine’s-esque, so that’s the theme I went with.
  2. I found someone’s diary… And it’s been talking back to me: I really wanted this one to be a gif. I wanted the second half of the secret to be animated, like Tom really was writing back to Ginny. So, since I couldn’t feasibly figure that out, I made the fonts different; one is really girly and the other is a mimic of Tom’s handwriting from the film.
  3. I can’t remember what I did the night of Halloween, but a cat was attacked and I’ve got paint all down my front: This one is supposed to look like the scene from the film in which the characters find “The Chamber of Secrets has been opened, enemies of the heir… beware” written in what appears to be blood on a wall. So I found an image that looked like the wall and wrote the secret in red paint.
  4. My brother keeps telling me I’m pale and not myself, but I think I’m going mad…: I wanted this one to look disorganized and crazy, so that’s why I went with the cut out letters. This is also a typical PostSecret (or really anything that’s supposed to be anonymous) trope, so I wanted to use it somewhere in my project and this seemed like an appropriate secret for that.
  5. I think I’m responsible for Petrifying my brother’s best friend: At one point, Ginny wakes up with rooster feathers all over her, and this is when she starts to realize that she’s not going mad but she’s being possessed. So I wanted to reflect that in the secret by using the feathers. Ryan and Sara suggested last class using a stony background for this one since being Petrified was essentially turning someone into stone.
  6. I’m the one who sent Harry Potter that Valentine: The second line of the poem that Ginny anonymously sent Harry reads, “His hair is as dark as a blackboard.” So that’s the theme I went with on this one.
  7. Harry Potter saved my life: I wanted this one to be really classy and kind of serious, so that’s why it’s kind of stark and simple in regard to color and font, but I also wanted it to reflect the admiration that Ginny feels for Harry at this point in the book, so the lightning bolt (an obvious symbol for Harry Potter) is huge and awesome.

2. As Sara pointed out last class, it would be really helpful for anyone who hasn’t heard of PostSecret or who hasn’t read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets to get some background information, but we all agreed that it shouldn’t go on the main page as that would distract from the project.