Improvement through Technology

8260622_f520

I enjoyed the beginning of the article article “The Myth of the Disconnected Life”.  Made me think of everything that upsets me about my visits to Northern Virginia.  You see couples pulling up in their posh cars, and both are staring at their phones.  It’s sad.  Funny, I remember 3 years ago I promised myself that I’d never give in to buying a smartphone.. well I failed, because now I have one, and it knows everything, from what I buy to where I’ve been.

I partially agree with “Is Google Making Us Stupid”.  It relates back to cell phones.  Up until  mid-high school (before I had a bulky Nokia phone), I remembered the phone number of all of my friends.  After several years of having a phone, I remember making the comment to someone that I can’t remember phone numbers anymore, and sometime it’s even worse when I can’t remember names.  We have changed, however unlike the article, I think my reading capability has significantly improved since the convenience of a laptop and the followed purchase of my first smartphone.  Unlike the author, I find new advances exciting.  The author is right, we are changing, but I don’t agree that the change is necessarily negative either.   So, I agree with comment in the article that people read more now than the had in ’70s or ’80s, but that’s the most I agree with.   Because of the ease of information, I hate reading less now than I had growing up.

Unlike some of the authors, I look forward to the future and I openly embrace new technology, even the prospect of having autonomous cars replace drivers.  I’m excited!

9 thoughts on “Improvement through Technology”

1. Hi Ross, I can relate to your ideas about smart phones. A couple months ago, I gave my galaxy note 4 to my sister and started to use a nokia 6300 I found at home –and since then my life has been changing dramatically: no obsessive mail checkings, facebook stalks, instagram pictures, daily recipe ideas, trendy dress-up offerings,, nothing -unless I go ahead and check them on computer.

I agree with you that blaming technology is not an efficient way of dealing with it. I stopped using smart phone because I am digitally illiterate and I did not think that I was able to deal with the level of distraction I was getting my smart phone. On computer, it is more manageable for me. I am learning.

Thanks for sharing.

2. Ross , nice post- I agree with a number of things you posted and I’m glad that you too caught the statement that people read more now than they did before. For me, I have never been a person who read books for fun, so when I evaluate how much I read before-to how much I read now (and I am not talking graduate school, research or required books), I mean random news, “Do it yourself” projects, or read about any number of topics online-I still think I am reading way more for some one who does not enjoy reading novels and magazines. Also I am well informed on what is going on locally, nationally and internationally. Technology allows me the ease of quickly looking up what I want to learn, connect with family who are abroad and I believe that I have become better at managing my time because I use these avenues to help me be better and not give them more power then they deserve (finding the balance).

Bottom line is that I don’t believe that technology is the devil or that “Google is Making Us Stupid”, I think it is us, as individuals who lack the discipline, self control and realizing when something is too much. My parents always said “too much of anything is not good” and I feel like that is what is the problem is with multitasking, or abusing social media or gadgets.

3. Nice post Ross! I too like Ayesha read far more now because of technology than I would had I been reading books, or even encyclopedias (what are those things anyhow…)! I think technology has really advanced our society and educational opportunities – but I think it is just that, an opportunity to move forward, however if not used correctly, it can be a distraction that actually moves us backwards. As with all things, we have to use technology appropriately and maybe in some ways in moderation to ensure that we are still making the most of our time and education.

Thanks for sharing,
    Turner

4. Hey Ross, excellent post. I totally feel where you’re coming from. I like to think of Google and technology (in certain contexts) like a think of chocolate, fine in moderation but too much will make you sick. New technology in vehicles and stuff gets me super pumped (as you know) but that’s why we do extensive testing prior to deployment, to make sure people don’t become careless and complacent (or stupid) and cause more harm in the long term.

5. It’s good to know that someone else also disagrees with the author of that article. I honestly felt that the author had something against technology without knowing how to express that. None of the evidence he gave made sense. Reading, whether it is on a laptop or on a piece of paper, is the same. It’s just that with Google we now have access to all kind of information and learn much more stuff.

6. I also agree that I am reading now more than before. I wonder how much of it is really important. For example, websites have figured out how to entice people to go from article to article, sometimes using deceptive titles, or attracting readers to stuff that is irrelevant (to some, not to others), like reality TV stars drama or something. Very good post, thanks for sharing!

7. When I read your post, actually it is my current experience. Previously, I only thought the phone is used for call or texting message. Now with the new technologies, we can use the smart phone to listen to music, watch TV and call others freely using some communication apps. The advantages of new technologies provide some convenient ways to change my life.