Documenting work

Throughout the semester, I have neglected photographing my work right after it is complete.  I have learned that by doing so, the models deteriorate and collect dust.  When I photographed my work, I was not happy with the way the models were portrayed because they were not clean and sturdy looking.  I also was not satisfied with the black paper roll that we used as a backdrop because it photographed with a yellowish tint that was distracting from the models.  I remade most of my models and used a black fabric sheet and discovered that I’m much happier with the way they turned out.  I definitely have learned that photographing work immediately is the way to go.

Rediscovering models

In preparation for our final desk exhibition, I have been going back and redoing models that have deteriorated or were not precise.  After remaking a few models I have learned that chipboard is not a durable or long lasting material.  The models I remade are much cleaner and sturdier. I also learned about the construction of my models that have deepened my understanding of the material and how the pieces fit together.  By remaking my models I think I have obtained a better grasp for design and it’s never ending endeavors.

Importance of iterations

Design is a process and is never complete without multiple iterations.  I’ve learned that it isn’t about the first idea you have but the development and exploration of that idea.  Recently we explored color with screen printing.  The prompt was to only use three colors, two for the screen print and one for the paper color.  Chris mentioned to me that it was important to try how colors layer on top of each other and to experiment with foreground and background by doing the lighter color as the lamp base and then try it as the highlights.  I learned that screen printing blue on yellow creates a different effect compared to printing yellow on blue.  Without this experimentation, I don’t think I would have discovered how color layers.  After our initial pin up I was not satisfied with my print because of the quality of the way the ink kind of bubbled on the paper and how it didn’t stand out or pop, so to speak. I went back to the screen print lab this morning and used the same colors, yellow, orange, and blue, but changed the layering of it.  I tried a brighter hue of blue and pulled the screen with a different squeegee that had a square end.  I also pulled the yellow base layer twice to achieve a solid yellow that didn’t have blue show through.  I did the same for the orange highlights and found that the color was much brighter and cleaner.  I didn’t realize how much of a difference this would have, but it really did make the print more successful and I would not have discovered this without going back into the project and trying more iterations.

Water Colors

Water colors are a tricky medium.  I discovered through our project to create a color wheel through artificial color how hard it is to mix red, yellow, and blue to get secondary and tertiary colors.  I discovered that using the palette of water colors isn’t accurate when mixing colors because it is very difficult to reproduce and mix evenly.  Water color tubes proved to be much more accurate in mixing colors because I could control how much of each color was added before distilling it with water.  Green also proved to be a challenging color to create because blue dominates yellow, so finding the right combination of the two proved difficult especially while preserving the brightness.  Another discovery I made was the effect of a white background compared to a black background. I found that the black background actually brought out the vibrancy of the colors rather than making the dark colors feel darker like I originally thought.  In comparison, the white background kind of washed out the colors in my opinion.