12″ x 12″ box

We have been tasked with constructing a box or envelope type container to hold our 12″ x 12″ color studies.  I contemplated how I wanted to approach this project and decided that I would construct a wooden box because of the durability and longevity of the material.  I considered other mediums such as foam core, bristol, and chipboard but ultimately decided that wood would be the best decision for me.  The material really does affect the craft of the finished product.  To me, this project really demonstrates attention to detail and overall craftsmanship.  I chose maple as my wood type because it is a harder would that will not chip as easily as oak and has a unique grain pattern.  I struggled with the dimensions because I did not originally connect the dots that the box would have to be slightly larger than 12″ x 12″ in order to hold 12″ x 12″ paper, but I think I have resolved that issue by creating a pattern and lining it with a border.  My box is almost complete and I am excited to see how the finished product turns out!