Digital Learners’ Dilemma in Information Era

With the proliferation of internet and web 2.0, more and more people get used to learning online. They are called “digital learners”. Although we know it is helpful for people to learn efficiently online, we still need traditional way to learn. Because even though we can learn some knowledge through these digital tools, people still need practice and face-to-face communication to make sure all understandings could be executable.

About qzhilei

The 2nd year PhD student @BIT department!
This entry was posted in GEDIVT. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Digital Learners’ Dilemma in Information Era

1. Ashish says:

While this post does not expand on why face-to-face interaction is important for all the understandings to be executable, I would disagree with the author that face-to-face interaction is required so that students can transfer their learning to a real life situation. Students can learn as much as using online tools and materials as much they can in a face-to-face classroom. The bigger question becomes whether the student is accessing the relevant online tools and materials to help their learning. If the right kind of material is chosen along with an appropriate approach, I think digital learning has a huge potential to help students learn, especially those who cannot attend a physical university or school.

• qzhilei says:

Since you give me a clear opinion but not sufficient evidence for your idea, I would like to conditionally accept your opinions. Partly I agree with you that digital learning will benefit some students who can’t attend a physical university or school. However, I would like to defend my idea with some evidences. For example, we can know about something with “smell”. Just only replying on the online material, it is only just a piece of information in your mind. You definitely can’t teach your nose to learn smell through online, right? The same case is for “taste”. It is impossible to learn what taste is spicy or sweet. Another interesting evidence, if you try to fall in love with some girl or boy, can you learn how to love others without any practice in real life by the internet? I can’t imagine how those cases would be implemented by learning online. Therefore, I still hold my idea digital learning helped people learn to some extent, but face-to-face and in-class, both traditional learning methods still play a vital role in our learning life.

2. A. Nelson says:

These are good points. I don’t think anyone is suggesting that “digital learning” will supplant face to face interaction, but looking back at the readings for the week (and those from earlier in the term), are there some ways in which networked learning environments might amplify the learning experience? If so, shouldn’t we make the most of those opportunities and affordances?

3. A. Nelson says:

Please change your discussion settings so that comments aren’t held for moderation.