Focused Awareness – Mindfulness in Life & Academia

mind·ful·ness

7 Responses so far.

1. Michelle says:

Great post, Qualla! I share your belief in the importance of reflection… I think it is a key part of being an educator. It is through looking back and reflecting upon what we have done that we can make our teaching better tomorrow. 🙂

2. hsmart3 says:

Qualla,

Great post. Here just some follow-up thoughts. While I purchase the idea of mindfulness in the learning process, we are challenged with having to deprogram a room full of students who have spent the past 18 to 30 years of their life in mindless system. If educators are going to take a turn in the mindful direction, I think we have to find a way to do so on a large scale. Sir Ken Robinson ended his talk referring to the needed effort as a revolution, and I think that’s the route we would have to take. With the mindful approach, I envision students complaining when they don’t receive a clear rubric for their assignments. And nowadays, student complaints carry heavy weight. Maybe that’s the starting point…surveys and other current measures of successful instruction.

3. “If we just go through our days without intention, without connection, without reflection, we are can be just absorbing information without context.” AMEN. Self reflection is so important in education. If we do not center down and truly think about what it is we are learning and why it is important, the knowledge is likely to be temporary. Great post. I think I, too, could do a better job of connecting myself with the material and being intentional about the knowledge I absorb.

4. Alex Noble says:

In my research area, we have a saying and that is, “context is everything.” Context is so darn important if I can’t give some sort of application to a theory I’m lost. I do not function well in the abstract world.

I agree with you so much that something that we all could get better with is our abilities to reflect and be mindful. Being open and aware of the possibility of many perspectives and novel application is essential nowadays (it’s not a bad idea just because it hasn’t been done before). Making time to reflect is also important, we can’t just go-go-go, sometimes we need to slow down and chill.

5. Rachel Kinzer Corell says:

I thought your entire response was well written and thoughtful, but I particularly identified with the end of your blog post when you said:

“That focus is so important in our everyday life. If we just go through our days without intention, without connection, without reflection, we are can be just absorbing information without context. I think that’s something that is missing in most cases of our lives – reflection and mindfulness. I know they provide me with moments of clarity, understanding, and purpose to what I’m doing, why I’m do things that way, and what that might mean or affect things in the future.”

The intention/connection/reflection is a great way of putting that. It’s actually something you could use as a writing exercise for students, not just in an effort to get them to be more mindful (although that’s obviously a goal), but also to get them to think (and be mindful) about the ways audience and purpose factor in when drafting a piece of writing.

Dude. Thanks for the idea!