This blog was created mainly as part of an assignment for my Preparing the Future Professoriate course I’m taking right now at Virginia Tech. However, I have enjoyed blogging in this past so my hope for this blog is to keep a record of my research, teaching, and personal experiences & observations while here at VT.
A little background on me –
- My dad is from Tulsa, OK. My mom is from Bakersfield, CA. They met in Calagary, Canada and my brother & I were born in Miles City, MT.
- Grew up in rural Oklahoma on a family-owned & operated small ranch
- Went to Oklahoma State University (Go Pokes!!) for my undergraduate (2013) & master’s (2015) in Biosystems Engineering
- Married my amazing husband Devin on 9/14/13
- During my Master’s, I worked for the Oklahoma Water Resources Board – generating a digital groundwater flow model for the Rush Springs Aquifer as well as other general field assignments including recording groundwater levels, slug tests, streamflow measurements.
- Besides my work with OWRB, I’ve worked as a 4-H intern, farmhand, administrative assistant, undergraduate research assistant, event planner, as well as a graduate research & teaching assistant.
- My goal is to be a professor at a land grant university & help first-year & underrepresented students get connected into our department and excited about BSE and all our field has to offer.
- I also run my own health & wellness business helping others reach both their health & financial goals which I absolutely love.
- My first semester here at Virginia Tech was Fall of 2015 while my husband was still living and working as an repair engineer in OK until January 2016. He is now a graduate student in the ECE department here at VT.
- We have two kittens named Gemma & Mayhem – named after Sons of Anarchy
- I love reading, doing professional development, entertaining, going on new adventures and COLLEGE FOOTBALL!
I am super excited about utilizing this blog as a way to process the information discussed in the PFP course, my Graduate Teaching Scholars course, as well as my experiences and observations during my academic career here at Virginia Tech.
This site is hosted b Blogs@VT Sites.