German Fulbright Fellows Now Honorary Hokies

“I always find myself proudly wearing my VT hoodie and shirt all the time. I really miss the group and VT spirit here in Germany,” wrote Tobias Wittek after returning home from his three weeks on campus.

Wittek was here with 23 other German undergraduate students for a German Fulbright summer institute focused on “Communicating Science: Communication, Collaboration, and Connection Across Differences and Disciplines.” Virginia Tech’s Center for Communicating Science, Cranwell International Center, and Language and Culture Institute planned the program and hosted the students.

Center for Communicating Science director Patty Raun and associate director Carrie Kroehler met with students three afternoons a week for the three weeks to facilitate their journey through a set of theatre-based exercises.

One student commented,  “It was such a positive surprise to experience ‘theatre’ in this course. In the beginning I didn’t know what this course would be about but it was such an enrichment and I loved to come to class every single time. It really changed my way of thinking and behaving and especially I became more confident. I am happy to be myself.”

“Thank you for all these amazing games we played in the group together,” wrote another. “I strongly believe this. . .helped us all to merge as a big, happy team. I highly appreciate your great engagement to us to get a new perspective of what communication is all about. I am honestly glad about everything I have learned from you!”

The students, from a wide variety of disciplines, also studied technical communication with the Language and Culture Institute and engaged in a variety of campus tours and off-campus activities.  They recorded their impressions and experiences in a group blog. The program also appeared in a VT news story and was covered by WVTF’s Robbie Harris in a radio story.

Cranwell Center director David Clubb has been contacted by the German-American Fulbright Commission in Berlin to begin discussions about an expanded program for the summer of 2018.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.