Day 41: Wait a minute?

So if you have been doing the math from my blog posts, you would realize that there were in fact more than 40 days in my “40 Days” blog.  So before I get into what I did on day 41 of my 40 day adventure, I should explain my math.  The 40 day figure refers from the start of the classroom portion of the study abroad to the end of the trip. Not specifically the day we leave (which for me was Sunday, July 5th) but the end of the ‘school’ portion of the trip, which was day 40: July 3rd.

We had the option to stay an extra day and about six of us ‘leftovers’ decided to do so.  It seemed like a good idea back in December when we made the decision, but after two weeks on the road, several of us were eager to get back home to family and dare I say it, even work.  That’s not to say we didn’t enjoy our extra day.  We did, as you’ll see.  But we’re a little homesick too.

For our last day, Wayne and I hit the road (well, rails actually) and took a train to Kronberg castle, a 16th century castle that was immortalized as Elsinore in Hamlet.  

A view of Kronberg from the outer ravelin. 

I’m certainly not going to take the Best Photographer crown from Wayne, but I like this shot of the tower. (Which, like the churches of Denmark, was closed to tourists)  

There were times on the trip I looked about this happy too.

At the risk of being anti-climatic, there isn’t too much to say about Kronberg. I didn’t take anywhere near enough pictures to capture the experience. But if you’ve been to the Tower of London, you’ll have a pretty good idea of what Kronberg is like. If you haven’t been in a 15th or 16th century castle, Kronberg is a good place to start. It’s easy to get to from Copenhagen, and trust me, you won’t be missing much in Copenhagen but skipping town and going to Kronberg.