Entry/Exit Requirements

U.S. citizens entering Chile must have a valid passport. U.S. citizens traveling to Chile for recreation, tourism, business, or academic conferences do not need to obtain a visa prior to their arrival to Chile. A Tourist Card will be issued for a stay of up to 90 days upon payment of a reciprocity fee, currently US $140. Currently, the fee is only charged at the Santiago International Airport. Payment can be made in U.S. currency or by credit card. An extension of stay for another 90 days is possible upon payment of an extension fee at the Chilean Immigration Office located at San Antonio 580, Santiago; telephone 56-2-550-2469. The Tourist Card must be surrendered upon departure. Failure to submit this card upon departure may result in delays until a replacement is obtained. If lost or stolen, the tourist card must be replaced by the International Police branch of the PDI at their nearest headquarters or at the international airport prior to departure.

Ensure that you have appropriate documentation to enter Chile. U.S. passports must be in good condition and valid for the period of stay. The U.S. Embassy cannot secure entry on your behalf if you arrive without a valid U.S. passport, with a passport that is damaged or mutilated, or if you arrive without a visa when one is required.

For up-to-date information on visa requirements, visit the website of the Embassy of Chile in Washington D.C. U.S. Citizens who intend to work, live, or study in Chile must apply in advance for a Chilean visa.

Chile imposes severe restrictions on the importation of agricultural products. Visit theMinistry of Agriculture website for current guidelines. You should declare all agricultural items, including fruit provided on incoming flights and packaged products. For further information regarding customs regulations, please read our Customs Information page.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Chile.