Ange’s takes on three concepts related to Digital Pedagogy!

Three of the terms that caught my attention while going through the Modern Language Association article titled “Digital Pedagogy in the Humanities: Concepts, Models, and Experiments”  are Blogging, Affect, and Assessment. I will first briefly describe what was said about each of those terms and then focus the rest of the blog on Assessment.

One of the terms, which I couldn’t help but notice was “Blogging”. This is because there is a strong blogging component to our “Contemporary Pedagogy” class and I wanted to learn how this relates to Digital Pedagogy. Blogging here was defined as being a powerful tool used by instructors to “challenge students to focus on process and audience, and to disrupt patterns and habits developed when writing more traditional essay forms students”. One aspect of blogging that I haven’t thought about, but which was discussed in the entry is how Blogging assignments are equally challenging for instructors, as they are for students. This is mainly because these types of assignments are more difficult to design and grade.

The second term that caught my attention was “Affects”. It was my first time learning about this meaning of  “Affects” in the entry. Affects as it was used in the entry is another word used to describe students’ emotions (mood) in class.  The authors argued that in the case of face-to-face teaching, instructors have to pay attention to students’ affects. This leads to the questions of  how can instructors ensure that students’ affects are accounted for in our current digitalized learning environment. Affects goes beyond the simple emotions shown by students in class. It also encompasses students’ feelings about the lectures, assignments, and other class-related activities.

Another term that I was extremely curious to explore was “Assessment”. Assessment is important because it allows instructors to re-evaluate their teaching, adjust and meet both their and students goals. The author of this entry discusses how there exists two competing ideologies regarding the use of Digital Pedagogy for assessments. While some scholars believe that the use of digital pedagogy could facilitate “attacks” on faculty, others think digital pedagogy could be used to design more advanced forms of assessment. I side with the latter stream of thoughts. I am one of those who believe that students assessments could be very subjective sometimes. All it takes is a bad grade (which is most likely justified) in a quiz, an assignment, or an exam for a student to have some very bad/mean words on an instructor who might have done a very good job during that semester. I believe students assessments should start raising red flags when a considerable proportion of students have bad assessments towards an instructor. Therefore, the more we could use digital pedagogy to help with assessments, the better.

4 Replies to “Ange’s takes on three concepts related to Digital Pedagogy!”

1. I really like the word “affect” as used here. The students’ mood and the overall ambiance of the classroom is not something I have specifically thought about from a teaching perspective before, though I can see how being cognizant of this could be useful in effective teaching. Thanks for sharing!

2. Hey Ange!

I think you have a good point about blogging. At the surface, it seems like blogs would take less time to explain and assign, but coming up with good blog prompts and/or guidelines for students can be challenging. Grading can also be tricky, since blogs allow for more varied types of responses and more interaction among students than a traditional paper.

3. Love that you covered blogging here! Sometimes it can definitely feel like “busy work” to sit down and write a blog, but I love the point that it actually disrupts the typical style of writing we usually do to challenge us. I can also see how blogging can be time consuming for both students and instructor though, especially when comments are graded!

4. Hi Ange,

I also like that you mentioned blogging! Since I started my PhD it has been a constant every semester. This is the third class I’m taking that requests the students to write a weekly blog. I was not used to this tool, so at the beginning I thought it was silly and a waste of time. Then after some assignments I completely changed my mind as a student and now I’m starting to look at it from the instructor’s perspective. I think the blogs help us “digesting” topics taught in the classroom, and I personally learn a lot by reading and analyzing other people’s perspectives.