Knowing Is Not Nearly Enough….

In the article by Parker J. Palmer, he poses the question “does education humanize us?

In my opinion education does not humanize us as individuals, I think education provides us the tools to know and understand what is happening in society and allows us a larger framework in which to develop our own opinions and values based on our knowledge of ourselves and the world.

What I think gets us closer to being more fully human is the action that we take to help improve the world in which we live. Having the education is all well and good, but if there is no aspect of service that goes into backing what you believe and value then you’re not aiding in the progress forward, you’re allowing yourself to remain stagnant and comfortable in your education.

6 Replies to “Knowing Is Not Nearly Enough….”

1. I think you made a good point! I totally agree that education alone does not necessarily humanize us. We need to ask ourselves how are we going to apply our education to serve the society and human beings.

2. Your comment about an “aspect of service that goes into backing what you believe and value” resonated with me. I found an opinion essay highlighting the importance of national service for college students. According to it, “A year of national service before, during or after college will better prepare our students to complete their degrees, secure meaningful employment and become lifelong engaged citizens” (Monaco, Gee & Padrón, 2017). This makes reminds me that internships can combine an “aspect of service” with work experience for college students. I participated in a graduate internship (at another university) and found it to be a rewarding experience.

Monaco, A.P., Gee, E.G., & Padrón, E. (2017, September 1). How Higher Ed Can Restore Public Trust. Inside HigherEd. Retrieved from https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2017/09/01/importance-national-service-during-or-after-college-essay

3. I have a correction for my last two sentences:
    This reminds me that internships can combine an “aspect of service” with work experience for college students. I participated in a graduate internship (at another university) and found it to be a rewarding experience.

4. Thanks for your post! I think you brought up a really great point about not just gaining knowledge but using what you learn and know to make positive changes.

5. Ernesto makes a wonderful point about the way internships and service-learning can provide that integrative experience that makes an education meaningful and relevant. But I do think that a real education is humanizing. A real education (as opposed to training, or certification) is expansive, mind-opening, and essential. Everyone deserves an education like that, and if humanity is going to make it, we need to commit to those values.

6. I really enjoyed reading your post. I think a lot of the debate you bring up stems around how to define education. Because if we think of it as existing only in the classroom setting then I totally agree with you, that you can’t get the humanist aspect all the time. But if we think of a more broad definition of education then I would agree it can humanize us through the actions that you suggest, like service.