Lov-a-ly Bunch of Coconuts
Nate Levengood has been brewing beer at home for the better part of the last decade and was excited when he got to team up with Millersburg Brewing Company (Ohio) to brew this Sweet Cream Stout with toasted coconuts.
There were 91 beers judged in the 2016 Great American Beer Festival (GABF) Pro-Am Competition, each having humble beginnings in a kitchen, garage, or back patio. Each beer is an award winner before it even arrives to Denver, having already medaled at a Beer Judge Certification Program/AHA-sanctioned competition and been chosen by a professional brewer for the GABF competition.
Only three of the 91 are dubbed GABF medal winners, but the other 88 are excellent as well. We talked to a few of the non-medal winners about their experiences with the GABF Pro-Am competition and garnered a few recipes in the process. Here is one of them. Enjoy.
Lov-a-ly Bunch of Coconuts | Sweet Stout
- For 10 gallons (37.85 L)
- 9 lb. (4.08 kg) Golden Promise malt
- 3 lb. (1.36 kg) flaked barley
- 1.75 lb. (0.79 kg) pale chocolate malt
- 1.75 lb. (0.79 kg) roast barley
- 1 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal 60°L malt
- 1 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal 120°L malt
- 12 oz. (0.34 kg) Victory malt
- rice hulls to prevent stuck mash
- 1 oz. (28 g) Magnum pellet hops, 14.7% a.a. (60 min)
- 3 lb. (1.36 kg) lactose (10 min)
- WLP028 Edinburgh Ale or Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast
- 12 oz. (0.34 kg) toasted organic (not sweetened) raw coconut
- 2 oz. (57 g) toasted raw almonds
- Original Gravity: 1.058
- Final Gravity: 1.036
- IBU: 28
Mash at 156° F (69° C) for 60 minutes.
Ferment at 68° F (20° C).
In secondary fermenter or keg (in muslin bag) add 12 oz. (0.34 kg) toasted organic (not sweetened) raw coconut and 2 oz. (57 g) toasted raw almonds. Soak for 3 days.
Force carbonate with 2 volumes (4 g/L) CO2.