I dont know nothing about no education…

I do not know much about K-12 beside my experience as a student…and that does not bring back the fondest memories for me. There are several similarities between K-12 and higher education. The perception of urban and those students who occupy those spaces. Both institutions try to write the narrative of students based on the stereotypes and myths described in Bulman (I believe). The argument surrounded the hard it is to debunk myths that are constantly reinforced by popular culture. The myth of higher education is not only reinforced by popular culture but also by public policy and wrapped up in the myth meritocracy in America.

What is interesting that “gaze” is kind of addressed…but not really dealt with head on with the writing, development and production of American Film. It is hinted at by the discussion middle class view and value system at the forefront of these high school films. Giroux tried to get at it in his piece, but he falls short (more of that in class).

Dr. Hicks is challenging us to look at these films from what bell hooks calls an “oppositional gaze”. It is also referenced in the Hall piece in regards to agency that Black viewers have when engaging popular culture. Can others truly cultivate an “oppositional gaze”? I ask this because of what happened in class last week. My colleague who asked Cory to speak for the race. He had no idea how insensitive that was (microaggression). He has taught in classrooms. Has he looked to his Black students to do the same? Can he develop an oppositional gaze and be critical of what is being presented in popular culture about education and the institution itself?