Ubuntu on Your Android

Imagine that your multi-core android phone becomes a real PC. Ubuntu is now developing a ubuntu desktop variant for android phones. It is not a simplified or portable version of ubuntu system remade for cell phones. The ubuntu for android will be the real ubuntu system running on your phone.Ubuntu for Android
If this upcoming feature is finally introduced, your phone will be able to run Android and Ubuntu at the same time. This means no dual-boot or virtual machine is required, they are running simultaneously since both Android and Ubuntu use Linux kernel. For more information, check out: http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android

2 thoughts on “Ubuntu on Your Android

1. Wow this is a very cool idea. I wonder if other companies will do something similar to this. I know that windows has a whole line of phones, but this is the first I’ve heard of a phone with a fully functional computer inside of it(maybe the windows phone acts as a computer too, i haven’t looked into it much).

I guess its because i don’t use my phone a lot but I’m not too sure I’d use it. I think that the only thing that I can think of is a place to develop programs straight onto their phone. Everything can either be accessed through an online service (like Google docs or e-mail).

Like i said its a cool idea and i might end up downloading for my self, depending on how much data it would use up on my phone/data plan.

2. I have used all three of the major handsets available in the market today (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone) and I have come to the conclusion that iPhone is my favorite. And personally, its my favorite by a long shot. And not once have I ever had “Android-envy” or had any desire to go back to an Android phone… But this may have just changed that.

This is one way cool concept that I really want to play around with. Being able to snap your phone into a port and have it act as a computer is wild. I wonder what this concept will do towards the future development of smart phones. Because as I see things, the one thing holding a smartphone back from really acting as a computer is storage space. The processor technology is essentially there, there’s plenty of RAM, etc… but most smartphones more or less max out at 32GB of storage. Where as PCs can have a terabyte or more. That’s a huge discrepancy, especially if you are trying to turn your phone into your “one and only computer”. But I’m excited to see how this progresses.

Also, random thought, would you be able to run commands from a terminal via Ubuntu on your phone? Cause that would be awesome.