Midterm thought

Finally the midterm is over and I felt I did well on it. This was one of my favorite types of exam that I’v ever had. Not because the test itself is not brutally difficult but the test provided a quite good reflection of what skills we have learned in this class. We had to practically write python codes, bash commands and some regex expressions in a certain amount of time. Even the test submission is through the git. That’s what I thought a programming class should be, but so many of them have failed. They ask you to write up bunches of paragraphs to explain a single concept instead of testing your actual coding abilities. I finished this test in an hour and 20 minutes but I double checked every problem very carefully so I think you all should be able to finish the test on time. Anyways, this is a great test and hope you all get a good score on it.

2 thoughts on “Midterm thought

1. I felt that way to. The test wasn’t too difficult and really did test my knowledge.
    I did like the format of this test a lot, and I am becoming more fond and used to git.
    Having us submit it though git really made sure we knew what we were doing

2. I agree, the test was fair. I was worried about this test until I looked at the practice test, which was not too bad. However, I was still worried about the time limit. Thank goodness it was an hour and thirty minutes instead of an hour because it also took me about an hour and twenty minutes to finish. I liked how the test addressed the different things we learned in the class such as the history of Unix/Linux, different shell commands, regular expressions, a choice between python and bash coding, and (by means of submission) git. The question that got me was the python/bash coding question; I read both problems and looked at the code before foolishly choosing bash. I gave it a try and failed. So I quickly switched and did the python problem instead and luckily got that one working. I probably could have finished 10-15 minutes earlier if I had just chosen the python one from the beginning.