• Semester Reflection

Posted on May 5th, 2014 msmith88 No comments

The readings, discussions, and projects during this semester of Intercultural Professional Writing really made me think about to the importance of intercultural communication in our society. Before this class, I honestly never really considered thinking about certain things that we talked about during the semester in regards to different cultures.

I grew up in New Jersey and I have lived there for my entire life. This is where my own form of “culture” has developed. In the past, I have not had much experience with other cultures, which is why I found this class so helpful. One reading that made me reflect upon my own culture was McIntosh’s White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack. I couldn’t help but think about the privileges I have had due to my family’s middle-class economic status. The article also made me think about the privileges I have had as a white, middle-class student in the classroom. I have never written out the “invisible privileges” that I have received; therefore, it made the experience that much more eye-opening.

With that being said, I think it is vital to implement intercultural activities, discussions, and textbooks within the classroom. Currently, there are many people in the working world who are unable to adapt to other cultures. Also, textbooks dedicate so little space to intercultural issues, and the information tends to be vague or difficult to apply in workspace environments. If our society works together to become more accepting of different cultures, then there will be more of a sense of understanding in regards our workplaces, interactions, and communities.