Week 2 – Networked Learning – GEDI

In taking this class, I am hoping to achieve three main goals.

1) to develop a clearer understanding of teaching pedagogy
2) to create a portfolio of works I can utilize in the future
3) to grow in my journey as a student and an educator

This week’s readings have gotten me off on the right foot, I believe, by giving me a look into what the future of education may entail. If you had told me ten years ago that blogging and online presences would be the face of higher education, I would probably laugh and readjust my dial-up connection. And yet, here we are! The advancements that have been made in networked learning just in the span of time when I was as an undergrad to now as a graduate student is astounding.

I especially appreciated the emphasis on using online resources and technology as “experiential” learning, as a way of knowing by doing. The Campbell reading suggested “the experience of building and participating within a digitally mediated network of discovery is itself a form of experiential learning“, and that really struck me. After all, isn’t the point of teaching to help others develop an understanding of a subject? Why, then, shouldn’t we encourage our students and colleagues to extend our learning to online communities and outlets?

In utilizing resources like Twitter and encouraging students to blog, I think we can extend knowledge to the online classroom. With so many of us getting our daily news fix from social media, it makes sense to create an online presence that is focused on furthering academic ideals, rather than simply social ones. I for one am excited to see where our advancements take us, but also hope that the importance of face-to-face education is never doubted.

May we all be like Baby George, excited to fail in order to get that one step closer to succeeding.

2 Replies to “Week 2 – Networked Learning – GEDI”

1. Hey Katie!
    I am so energized by reading your post! I think you will find that GEDI meets all 3 of the goals you listed and so much more. You bring up a good point about creating a space for academic discourse on platforms that we are already comfortable and accustomed to using. I think you make a strong point: technology is great, but F2F is SO powerful and is likely not going away anytime soon.

Also, I read Miland’s blog earlier and he was talking about something similar. He mentioned Polyplexus (nutshell: 300 character research-oriented “twitter”) and one other knowledge-sharing social-meets-science platform that he’s familiar with. You should go check out his blog, you might find it interesting! https://miladgrad5114.wordpress.com/2018/08/26/networked-learning-fast-dissemination-of-information-through-global-contribution/