Break time!

What does a PhD student do to celebrate the end of a long (and tiring semester)?

This PhD student loves to cook. For some reason, cooking = celebrating. I like to try new recipes and to cook old favorites, so I want to share a few with you.

The first, an oldie but goodie (to be sure) is my glazed lemon sugar cookies. I LOVE lemon cookies. They are amazing. I discovered them while working in Memphis. I’ve made a few variations because I always make them and then lose the recipe, but now I am going to cite my source so that I never have to find the recipe again! I got the recipe from this blog and it is the perfect recipe. Of course my pictures don’t look quite as good as theirs, but who cares! These are actually an orange version, because I’m pro-citrus of all types. I think next time I’ll try some lemon-lime cookies to see how they work!

2014-05-06 21.19.42

Glazed Lemon (or whatever citrus you have on hand) Cookies
Ingredients:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp lemon zest
  • 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter (or whatever you have, I don’t discriminate)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Lemon Glaze

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and lemon juice and beat until combined. With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons, 1 inch apart, onto two baking sheets. Bake until edges are golden, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool 2 minutes on sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Spread cookies with Lemon Glaze and let set, about 1 hour.

Lemon Glaze
Ingredients:

• 2 cups of powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp lemon zest
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice

Of course, not every recipe turns out well, like my attempt at a carrot-apple smoothie. NOT good. I can’t help it that I got a new Ninja blender (this thing is amazing) and I have a lot of carrots that I need to use up…somehow.

I also made some pretzel bites and mustard sauce, and let me say they turned out quite well, but I forgot to take a picture of them. I think I might have been too busy eating them. More pretzels are definitely in my future. Also in my future is some bread and pasta. I’m trying to get rid of stuff (pasta & flour) as I get ready to move this summer, so I have to use up the food in my cabinets! Sometimes I like the challenge of using what I have on hand with as few extra ingredients as possible. But really, I’m dreading this move. I’ve moved a lot on my own (in and out of dorms, to Memphis and now to Virginia), and I will be so glad when this move is over. Let’s hope I can stick with my new apartment for longer than a year!