My First Class

Wow! I can’t believe I let almost a month slip by since I last posted. I knew I had been slacking when I started getting threatening emails from my regular readers (ahem, Ernesto) telling me I needed to update my blog. I just had no idea it had been that long. Sorry about that! It has been quite busy. Soon, I’ll give a brief recap of my Thanksgiving break, but this post is dedicated to an exciting event…

Yesterday, I got to teach my first class! I’ve filled in for a couple of lectures as a TA in the past, but the notes and slides were handed to me. This was the first lecture that I have ever given where I had to do all of the preparation.

After a semester of discussing ways to engage the students, it was both exciting and intimidating to take a stab at it myself. I filled 45 minutes with a mere 13 slides (I never thought that would happen) full of questions and 2 major activities. Most of you probably don’t care for the nitty gritty, but the topic was Rapid Upper Limb Assessment (RULA) and Rapid Entire Body Assessment (REBA). One of the other really exciting things was that these topics were covered on my final exam today, so it helped me study too. I love killing two birds with one stone!

I think the class went well. I had some good involvement from the students, and got generally good feedback from a student and the normal professor. After all of the nerves and anticipation, it really wasn’t that scary. I could do that for a living!

A good friend asked me to take a picture of my first real class. I didn’t think I would actually teach my own lecture at the time, but in honor of this request, I present to you a picture of my students:

Creeping on my students

I thought it would be a little bit awkward to take a picture from the front of the classroom, so this was the best that I could do.

Filed under gedivtf13

2 Responses to My First Class

1. momccus

Thats awesome!! Congrats, Missie. I bet you make a great teacher!